Am I insane? Or is there a chance of some hatching? EBAY EGGS!

Quote:
Where I live we had an ice storm in January that put thousands out of power and homes for days and weeks. We had tree branches and a whole tree that was bent over with the weight of the ice that was frozen to our coop. The door was frozen shut. We had to remove the tree limbs, cut away the tree that was hanging frozen over the door and chip our way into the coop. The frozen tree has pulled the cord right out of the light fixture that was in the coop. So our chickens where living inside an ice cube. We got in to make sure everybody was ok, which they where, and fed and watered them. Even though we had no heat or electricity we fed and watered our pets everyday. We where without power for 5 days total. We sent our daughter with the grandsons to other homes that wheren't affected by the storm while we stayed there to tend to our animals. I am so thankful that we have so many blankets. I had a chihuahua at the time and I put all her cloths on her and kept her inside my coat except to eat and potty. Our other dogs seemed to like it. Especially the St Bernard.

DH stayed outside all night during the storm watching the trees to make sure that we stayed safe inside. Then he spent the entire next day getting into the coop and hunting down some source of heat. That evening we found places for our daughter and her kids to go. WE stayed there. The next day we spent looking for a source of heat with no luck then the next day we found a generator but no heaters. The generator died after about 30 minutes of use. So another night without heat. The next day we found a kerosene heater and spent hours upon hours searching for the fuel to go in it and then hours in line to get it. By late evening we had heat just to discover during the night the tank had a leak. So we spent the remainder of our time without heat. But our animals where tended to.

Not everybody is able to do such things, and alot wouldn't even concider it.

Yeah, to all who are wondering what I left out...i did leave something out. Two feet of snow from the storm (which I got out of the way and the birds--and goats, although they kinda despise the snow-- were out and about)....and the tree branch that snapped under the weight during the wind following the storm two days later.
They were fine in the morning before I left for work...then I got home...broken branch rained snow into the entry way )of all the places it could have dumped snow.)...and not so fine when I got home
sad.png

And yeah, I agree, snow should be out of there way ASAP so they can go about their chicken business.

Back
Top Bottom