Am I just lucky or does this happen? **pics added**

OHMYCHICKIES

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
I put some refrigerated eggs from my flock of just 1 rooster and 11 hens, total of 15 eggs, in the incubator. A Still-Air incubator. Wanted to put 15 to maybe at least get 1 or 2 chicks. I turned them twice a day, not at any consistent time. Put a little bit of water in those rings and the temp fluctuated between 95 and 104. I only candled 2 eggs on day 10 and they looked like something was in them, so I figured, hey there is my 2.
Well on Easter 12 hatched and today the last 3 hatched. Today they were due. They all look healthy and no problems.

Is that lucky or does this happen? If I do it again, will it or should it happen this way again?

BTW, this was my very first hatch.

Last edited:
I say you were very lucky! Congrats on a great hatch!
clap.gif

That is so unfair. Lucky! lol

I put 30, nice eggs in the incubator. turned 3 times a day, kept humidity up, and temp correct. And only three of my eggs hatched! wow. I am jealous. lol

okay, wow!! here's the pics for anyone who wants to see

daddy
11063_daddy.jpg

momma
11063_mommas.jpg

eggies
11063_eggs.jpg

one with shell as hat
11063_chickhat.jpg

here they are all together, scrunched up
11063_allchicks.jpg

Excellent!!! Sometimes I think we mess with them too much.... congrats on your first hatch and 100% is awesome! I say you have a very fertile roo there!

Nancy

Last edited:
Thank you...he can't crow good but he sure makes babies. He actually sounds like someone is strangling him.

You done a great job. I wish I had your luck, I have done two hatches so far. My first I set 12 eggs and only had three hatch, then one died later. My second hatch I sat 32 eggs and only 16 hatched and one of them died. I am so frustrated I probably will be selling my incubator. BTW they are very nice looking babies!!

Quote:
LOL - years ago I had one like that. The first time I heard him crow, I ran outside to see what was killing him. Poor thing, I always hoped he'd grow out of it. Never did. He was a good boy, though, never attacked a person and had no problem making a bunch of pretty little ones.
Maybe that's something we should look for in a breeding roo, a pathetic crow.
big_smile.png

Oh, Congratulations on the amazing hatch!

Up the creek - don't give up, just look forward to a few and I bet they'll all hatch. Shoot, I just more than doubled my chicken count - didn't count on that.

BorderKelpie -hehehe, that was great, it might be true. He's very good with the girls, although he does get what he wants, when he wants it - but he does let the girls eat first any scraps. I've given him some directly and he'll drop it for the girls to eat. He does a certain call for them to come and eat. But he really crows bad. Oh wells...if that's what I have to put up with, I'll do it
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom