Am I making the right 2nd and 3rd choices?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gritsar, Jan 3, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Getting ready to place my order from Ideal. On their mail-in order form they ask for second and third choices. Now I'm alllll about brahmas, but decided I better go ahead and put down those choices. How do Partridge Rocks (2nd choice) and Speckled Sussex (3rd choice) sound? My requirements are: an easy to handle bird, fair egg layer, heat tolerant, and cold hardy. Also prefer non-flighty, goes along with being easy to handle IMO.
    What do you think? Feedback please. [​IMG]

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Sounds good to me........I love those rocks!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Rocks and Sussex are both good choices. My Speckled Sussex girl, Nelda, is very broad and chunky with short legs, so I'd say she's cold hardy. She is a little pig of an eater, though, but completely worth it since she's so beautiful to look at. I don't have Partridge Rocks, just the Barred Rocks, but Rocks overall are a terrific breed. Sounds like good choices to me.

4. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I have all 4 rock breeds from ideal poultry and I love my partridge girls the most. They are the friendliest of all my chickens and very much love a cuddle. My kids play with them daily and they are very pretty. I plan on getting more of them in the spring. You can't go wrong with partridge rocks IMHO.

5. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I think Rocks of any kind are a good choice, BUT for adding some visual pizzaz to a flock, Speckled Sussex!!! They lay well during the winter, too. Personality, looks, and good egg-laying---at least get a few...I don't think you would regret it! [​IMG]

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Dont give them a choice, is there a block that you can chose to wait till what you want is available??
    I dont doubt that the 2nd and 3rd choices are good breeds, BUT... If you want Brahmas wait and get what you want. Sorry to say so but if I am the hatchery and you put a 2nd and 3rd that is what you will get if I have someone that only wants one breed. If you get the other breeds you will [​IMG] "what if" I had gotten what I wanted till you do get the Brahmas. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I never mailed in an order to Ideal but, on the phone they don't ask you for your second or third choice so you should not have to settle for something else!!!

I also vote to just wait for what you want wait for the Brahmas!

I have had a few breeds & if they don't want to cuddle they get sold!
    I think the chickens who are the best cuddles so far are Brahmas, Cochins & Rocks! [​IMG]

I had to go through 8 silkies before I found 1 that would willing cuddle!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:I agree with mdbucks! They are all good choices, but if Brahmas are what you REALLY want, you should hold out for them.

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Just wanted to see that again. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

ksacres wrote:
    I agree with mdbucks!

Just wanted to see that again.​

You liked that, huh, Dennis? Watch this:

I agree with mdbucks, too. [​IMG]

Although all the breeds mentioned are great, get what you really want. Life's too short.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by