Am I Raising My Ducklings Right?####Still need some help####

ducksandchucks

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Hi my ducklings are roughly fourteen days old, haven't started getting feathers, still all cute and yellow and fluffy! Not for long though! I called them Missy and Angel.

Anyway, I'm new to ducks, have raised chicks and keep hens but new to ducks.

Accomadation

Ok so at the moment, I am keeping them inside until they get a little bigger. I'm keeping them in my sittingroom in a big pet carrier. I will move them to a shed in a bigger bow when older and then outside to free range and locked in at night. I also don't have a heat lamp but they seemed snug and warm without one last night.

Water

I have a thing for their water that is attached on to the cage so they can duck their heads in but not knock it over and its not deep enough for them to drown. I wash it out 2-3 times a day as they muck it up.

Bedding

I have hay as there bedding which I have been cleaning out everyday (got them yesterday) as they get it wet from messing in the water.

Food

I heard you can raise them on rolled oats so that is what I am doing. I researched that it is good to give them different fruits and vegetables. So far I have just given them watermelon which they loved. I read that you should experiment with vegetables to see what they will eat. Not to feed them medicated chick starter as they can overdose and mouldy food can be fatal.

Swimming
Introduced them to swimming today. Filled up a baby bath with water and their was a little place that they can go up on so they won't tire and drown.

So thats it! Anything I am doing wrong, anything I should add and any tips thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like you've done your research and are taking great care of them! And as for them not getting feathers...that's normal. It seems to take FOREVER for them to get them all in! I have a drake who is 3 months old and fully feathered, but my 1 month old is just starting to get feathers. It's actually nice because you get to enjoy the fluffy stage a bit longer than you do with chicks!

Good luck!

I hope you are enjoying your ducklings! There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, but I thought I would just mention what has worked for me in the past.

I have found that I prefer to use pine shavings for bedding until they go outside. It soaks up the messes a little easier than straw or hay will.

Leafy greens are very good for them, as they contain niacin, which ducks need more than chickens do. I feed my ducklings chicken starter (non-medicated) and let them have access to greens every day. That seems to be sufficient. Sunflower seeds are another good food for ducks.

I would think a pet carrier would get difficult to clean. I find a converted rubbermaid tub to be an easy to clean brooder.

Good luck and have fun!

Quote:
As a treat, rolled oats and fruits and veggies are fine. Just small amounts once a day or so. OTehr than that non medicated gamebird or chick starter supplemented with brewers yeast is fine for the first 2 to 4 weeks, then you can switch to all purpose feed that has no added calcium. At point of lay for females you can start feeding layer pellets.

They really need to have proper feed, so I hope I am misreading your post. Watermelon has no nutritional value, nor do the oats. They need protein, niacin and other nutrients.

Have fun with your babies and post pics when you can!
smile.png

I read somewhere else about someone who raises ducklings on rolled oats and all hers turned out fine.

Also I heard weetabix

So I'm raising them on rolled oats. I also
raised my chicks on them too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Everything I have read about ducks and geese (which I have) is start them on chick starter and graduate to some scratch grain and pelleted feed used for chickens (not medicated) in addition to allowing them access to plenty of greens/grass.

Quote:
I always think twice when someone says "I heard somewhere" "read somewhere" etc....

Please provide us a link or something so WE too can read it.

Quote:
Do what you feel best. You asked for opinions and you got my best one.

I have 3 ducks that were fed grain, bread, top ramen, lettuce and fruit as babies until they were rescued as adults. They have bone deformities and will always be special needs ducks. It is called metabolic bone disease.
You can find lots of info on MBD by doing a google search.
So I speak from experience, not just something I heard or read.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom