Am I reading this right?

backtobasics

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
Seattle
I'm looking over my local regulations and need another pair of eyes. I live just outside city limits, in an unincorporated county area. When first asking about county poulty laws, I was given this excerpt:
Poultry, chickens, squab, rabbits, hamsters, nutria, and chinchilla are limited to a
maximum of one animal per square foot of structure used to house such animals, up
to a maximum of 2,000 square feet.

I thought- wow! I can have 2,000 chickens! (I'm really not planning on having anywhere near that many... I just thought that was pretty cool that I had the option.)

Then I actually found the county document, and they didn't give me the whole scoop. Here is the full doc: www.kingcounty.gov/property/permits/publications/~/.../bulletins/41a.ashx (I'm not sure if this link is going to work- it's a PDF. If it takes you to the 'not found' page, just put "41a" into the search box and it's the first result.)

So if I'm reading this correctly, you can have:
- under 1/2 an acre = 3 chickens
- over 1/2 an acre = 2,000 chickens

Seriously? Am I reading that right? I have a little under 1/2 an acre.
sad.png
I was planning on starting with just a few, but expanding the flock down the line if things went well.​

Quote:
I know! That's why I was so impressed with the regulations.... but now I'm just annoyed that I only get 3.
hmm.png

We are in just under a 1/2 acre and are allowed 10 chickens including 1 roo. We have 28 hens and 2 roosters.
hide.gif
No one complains though!

Quote:
I thought- wow! I can have 2,000 chickens! (I'm really not planning on having anywhere near that many... I just thought that was pretty cool that I had the option.)

Then I actually found the county document, and they didn't give me the whole scoop. Here is the full doc: www.kingcounty.gov/property/permits/publications/~/.../bulletins/41a.ashx (I'm not sure if this link is going to work- it's a PDF. If it takes you to the 'not found' page, just put "41a" into the search box and it's the first result.)

sad.png
I was planning on starting with just a few, but expanding the flock down the line if things went well.

Chickens are not pets the part that applies for chickens is D 3 which is what they originally told you, now make certain that if a permit is needed to put up the coop get it and make certain that you follow all codes that apply. Frequently the one that nails folks are the line setback requirements.

Quote:

sad.png
I was planning on starting with just a few, but expanding the flock down the line if things went well.

Chickens are not pets the part that applies for chickens is D 3 which is what they originally told you, now make certain that if a permit is needed to put up the coop get it and make certain that you follow all codes that apply. Frequently the one that nails folks are the line setback requirements.

hmmm... I was reading it that chickens were considered as "small animals" (because of the definition at the end of the doc) so would be considered under the 2A as well.

Would the coop permit rules be a separate regulation? In the city limits, it's all specified in the same place (# of animals, distance from property lines, etc.) I guess I should look around a little more.

Quote:

hmmm... I was reading it that chickens were considered as "small animals" (because of the definition at the end of the doc) so would be considered under the 2A as well.

Would the coop permit rules be a separate regulation? In the city limits, it's all specified in the same place (# of animals, distance from property lines, etc.) I guess I should look around a little more.

Building codes, plumbing codes, electrical codes, what ever applies for an accessory use building will be what you need to find. Frequently there are limits on the size and number of out buildings depending upon lot size. Zoning laws (and other legal restrictions) have been known to prevent more than a certain area amount of land to be covered by buildings, paved surfaces, or even cleared of trees.

2 A Is for small animals that are normally considered household pets but are kept outdoors. An example would be a dog used to protect the property, a dog is considered a household pet, and guard dogs are usually kept outside.

If you take a close look at 2 D they place setback requirements for aviaries and certain mammal pens. The one for the mammal pens would likely make it impossible for one to have even one of them on less than an acre and a half, in fact I have more than three acres but the set backs would preclude me from having a single mink or fox (which is comical since we have red and gray fox, fisher, and likely mink).

Oh, as an aside, any building here has to be at least 50 feet from all property lines in this zone and that is before you get to what is a minimum build able lot size.

Last edited:
you can have a maximum of 3 on lots up to 20,000sf
max of 5 on lots between 20,000 and 35,000
max of one additional bird per 2 acres if you have over 35,000sf

you cannot have more chickens that one per square foot of the building that houses them,
so if your coop is 4x4=16sf, then your max is 16, but you must have enough acreage to have that many or your limit is again, 3 if your lot is under 20,000sf, no matter how big your coop is.

if you have a coop that is 2x1ft, say just a shed type with a roof, then you would be limited to 2 birds.

if your birds live in the house with you, and have no cage (?) house is 2000sf, and your lot is under 20,000sf, your max is still 3 birds. if you have a cage for them, then you must have a cage that has at least one sf per bird.

Back
Top Bottom