Am I stepping on his toe or his last nerve?

Feb 20, 2021
Argentina
Been getting on great with my cockerel and don't want to mess it up. Today, while I was sitting on the patio, throwing out some scratch, two of the pullets came right up to me and almost insisted on eating out of my hand. He never fussed one bit at the time, just kept gobbling up what was on the floor. Is he likely to resent them eating out of my hand like that? When I try to offer him directly, he just backs up a bit and watches while they chow down.

Since he's not mature it can be hard to guess his adult behaviors. Next spring when his hormones are surging you will see what type of rooster he will be. For now he sounds like he's just taking care of himself which is normal. I prefer them to back away and keep their distance. It's a sign of respect.

Sounds like good behavior to me, and in line with what I've observed here.
How old are they, in weeks or months?
He was born beginning of February, they are two months older. Which makes him around six months, still a boy. He does need to work on his romance skills a bit, but they are not unduly suffering from his attentions. He even insists on sorting out the nest and being there when my oldest pullet lays her egg. He is also not unduly aggressive to me, but is very protective of his pullets, to the point I worry about jealousy. That is my concern.

He looks so far to be turning out as everything I could hope for, just don't want to ruin it all by doing something dumb.

They really that sensitive? We have one Cockerel who is a White polish crested mixed with black australorp he is just now crowing. We have 14 hens otherwise of mixed varieties. If i handle or feed his ladies when he gets older he can get mad? We keep his eyes trimmed as he and they mostly free range outside of feeding times/coop at night. He and the rest, have ate from our hands since they were a day old (neighbor hatched them and gave us some).

Edit: I am asking as this is our first batch of chickens. We have always done ducks, so all of this "pecking order" type of stuff is new to us.

Last edited:
They really that sensitive?
Not a clue. But since he is shaping up to be pure magic, I will happily walk on egg shells to ensure it works out. He makes the bed before he lets her lay an egg. He watches over them like a hawk. He finds food for them. What more could I want?

I spent a life dealing with humans and seen levels of ridiculous that defy belief. I will go the extra mile with a little guy who has a brain the size of my pinky nail just for starters.

Not a clue. But since he is shaping up to be pure magic, I will happily walk on egg shells to ensure it works out. He makes the bed before he lets her lay an egg. He watches over them like a hawk. He finds food for them. What more could I want?

I spent a life dealing with humans and seen levels of ridiculous that defy belief. I will go the extra mile with a little guy who has a brain the size of my pinky nail just for starters.
dang that's pretty cool, mine kind of just acts like one of the hens. Is it because he is still young? He was only born in mid April. When did yours traits (behavior) first kick in?

He is also not unduly aggressive to me, but is very protective of his pullets, to the point I worry about jealousy. That is my concern.
It's not about 'jealousy', that's a human thing.
If he's letting you hand feed, chances are he is fine with you.
Only time will tell if he will continue to be tolerant and not think of you as a threat.

Personally - I would avoid hand feeding. It seems friendly, but it is more like boldness and can lead to bad behaviors. A lot of people want true pets that sit in your lap, and if so, this will do that.

But it can backfire with a cockerel. They become bolder and bolder and want your space, and you to move. They can become quite violent, but some don't.

Do not walk on egg shells, do not give them human emotions. Making him keep a distance of 5-6 feet is generally a good rule.

Mrs K

dang that's pretty cool, mine kind of just acts like one of the hens. Is it because he is still young? He was only born in mid April. When did yours traits (behavior) first kick in?
Yes, he is young. Only six months old. Almost the moment that the lead pullet hit puberty and started looking around to lay an egg, he went from an idiotic fifteen year old boy you want to belt upside the head five times a day, to an expectant 25 year old father, who is starting a family and getting a mortgage at the bank. Overnight change. Yes, weird. Unless he somehow screws up in the next six months, if my lead pullet informs me she wants to get married, I will walk her up the aisle in the run.

Back
Top Bottom