1 year old serama rooster bitting my hand when I try to pick up him

Ruscul

Chirping
Nov 12, 2023
I have a one year old pet serama rooster named Simba who stays indoors, I had Simba for about 7 months and he stays in his cage in a empty closet, and i let him out of his cage everyday, But everytime i have to put Simba up he bites my hand and after he quickly realize that he hurted me and lets me hold him. How can I get simba out of the habbit of bitting my hand? I also don't know what type of serama he is. The bird in the picture is Simba

Attachments

• 17024937145652639270106533426627.jpg
    17024937145652639270106533426627.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 44
I had a young cockerel that would try to take a peck at me when I tried to grab him (I only had to do so for treating injuries a few times). He didn’t like being grabbed and showed his opinion before I picked him up, otherwise he was perfect and never tried to hurt me any other time.

It could be he doesn’t want to go back to his cage. Does it only happen when you try to put him up?

Last edited:
He's hitting his hormones atage mixed with poor mental health. Chickens can suffer from mental illness from not being outside, with other chickens. It's a physical and mental need.
You can keep a single chicken as a pet sometimes but 90% it fails, even with much better set ups.
You need to build him a coop outside and get him girl friends or rehome him.
Living in a cage in your closet isn't at all what's best for him.
What is his diet?
It's in his best interest for there to be drastic changes in his care.

He's hitting his hormones atage mixed with poor mental health. Chickens can suffer from mental illness from not being outside, with other chickens. It's a physical and mental need.
You can keep a single chicken as a pet sometimes but 90% it fails, even with much better set ups.
You need to build him a coop outside and get him girl friends or rehome him.
Living in a cage in your closet isn't at all what's best for him.
What is his diet?
It's in his best interest for there to be drastic changes in his care.
I'm working on building a coop/run area but we are moving soon so I will make/Build his coop when we get to the new house

I had a young cockerel that would try to take a peck at me when I tried to grab him (I only had to do so for treating injuries a few times). He didn’t like being grabbed and showed his opinion before I picked him up, otherwise he was perfect and never tried to hurt me any other time.

It could be he doesn’t want to go back to his cage. Does it only happen when you try to put him up?
It happens when I try to pick him up and I feel like he doesn't want to go back into his cage as well

Seems like he doesn't want to get picked up. Keeping him inside, alone, and with no meaningful connection to the outdoors is also a contributing factor, IMO. By "type" of serama, do you mean A, B, C, micro, etc...? He is due for a much needed nail trim

I would not want a bird in the house, but to each his own way. I would stop picking him up, and just guide him back to his cage, a few treats in there might really help. A lot of birds really out grow being handled, it is one thing for him to approach you and perch up on your knee, but another to being picked up.

I would not expect the pecking to stop and he maybe become more aggressive. Pet roosters have no fear or respect for people, and often times become very aggressive. Be aware.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom