Am I the only pedantic grammar nerd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread comes up frequently. I have thoughts on both sides. I try to improve myself but I still make errors; don't we all? My spelling is often awful, too.

On the other hand, some of the smartest people I've known in my life had little schooling. In my area many women died in childbirth years ago so the children often had to quit school. My mother was orphaned at age 11 but did finish the 10th grade. However, she had to miss school on wash days, etc. My dad's cousin was brilliant in his work as a handyman, electrician, carpenter, etc. He could repair any radio in a New York minute! Maybe older people should be given a pass on grammar for that reason--they were working their butts off as children.

I think proper language is important but it is not the most important thing that I see in a person. Character counts more with me. I see mistakes frequently by a poster of this subject. I was taught, for example, that the word "English" was capitalized. I see a contradiction as in "each" person should carry "their" own books. That subject came up during the last grammar thread and some on this board said it was correct. That's not how I was taught in English class. Maybe the English language changes from time to time. Edwin Newman and newsmen of his generation were great role models.

It also depends on the career a person chooses. I expect more from a news anchor than the average person. In the past, southerners were great story tellers. I'm not going to get bent out of shape at improper grammar if I hear a funny story or see the warmth of a smile--we need to lighten up maybe.

You're not the only one.

I think it's shocking, frankly, how poorly people spell and write. It's really disturbing.

I am the yearbook sponsor so I have a different outlook on it maybe. I am not going to, nor have I ever, get on here and correct anyone...nor am I going to make fun of any mistakes. I make them myself. I just worry when I make correction after correction on their/there...hear/here....brake/break and then turn around and they keep making the same mistakes time after time. It seems like after a while the kids would pick up on just some of the most basic words.. Some do. Some don't. I feel like it is a reflection of both me and my students when errors are not caught and get printed in the yearbook for eternity! I am from the South so I am already hindered by the southern version of English. We get made fun of for our language and grammar or lack thereof. Maybe it made me more conscious of what I write? LOL I was 50 before I found out that berserk wasn't bazerk....what a shock! But now I know and I won't make that mistake again even if I ain't perfect! LOL

Quote:
Sorry you felt that you couldnt come here for help. It shouldnt be that way. But i know what you mean.
And yes, you are 100% right about what really matters in the end. Trust me... you are 100% right.
hugs.gif

Well, she did come here for help because I'm the one who edited the letter.
big_smile.png
Dar, I didn't know you had learning disabilities, I thought you just wanted your letter to be edited for proper grammar. I reworded it for clarity, but it was really just fine already! There wasn't much "wrong" with it at all, actually, I just dressed it up a little. It never occurred to me to judge you! That would be silly. I edit letters for people all the time, some people are just better at some things than others. I'm good at letter writing and grammar for example, but if you give me basic math I'm terrible! Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, don't beat yourself up.
hugs.gif

In response to the original post, sometimes it bugs me a little if people write or say things with bad grammar, but mostly it doesn't. What really bugs me however is when people on sites such as this reply to a post correcting or mocking the grammar mistakes but completely ignoring the subject of the post. It's not a grammar forum, it's a chicken/social forum. It really bothers me when people feel compelled to correct as if they are helping when all they are doing is publicly making a spectacle of someone's error. I know my they're, theirs, and there's, and sometimes if I'm up late posting I will still type the wrong one. It happens. Big deal. I really wish people would stop feeling the need to correct, and simply try listening to what's on someone's mind in a non-judgmental way.

I've been on this forum for a long time and have noticed a lot of people who have taken it upon themselves lately to correct people or call them out on something.
And YES, grammar is NOT my greatest strength.

Yes I make mistakes, nobody is perfect and yes people type fast..... I would not have any issues helping someone proofread and correct a letter, paper, whatever; I used to do it all the time for my friends when I was in HS. Do I spell everything correctly? No way! I have a terrible time with certain words (vacuum), I usually type them up in my browser search to see if I have the word spelled correctly. I have a tendency to use 'Yoda speak' myself......
roll.png

The problem is that if someone is never corrected, then how would they ever learn the proper use of the language??? I understand that there are people with learning disabilities who will never be able to spell or use words correctly (my Mom is Dyslexic), but the majority do not have this as the issue. I have witnessed several times at the middle school poster projects the kids have made that are on display. What irks me is that they will have the posters with the MOST grammatical and spelling errors right up by the front door of the office/building. This is an example of the education these kids are getting and to me, it does not look like the teachers are doing a good job if they do not at least proofread and correct the kids when they make mistakes.

And if I have made errors in my posts; chalk it up to crappy typing skilz...
wink.png

I have SEVERE learning disabilities..

I can read and understand what I am reading.. I can listen to a lecture and understand it... but unless I take notes give me 20-30 minutes I will forget little bits and pieces.

I have no problems with hear/here there/their (although I will sometimes spell it thier)

i cant grasp seen/saw (please dont try and explain.. it makes matters worse)

verbs...

ADD (diagnosed when I was 18)

the only reason I was able to get through school and get my degree was because I had a lot of verbal training.. i would get teachers notes so I can go over them on my own

when reports are made they are done in point form notes on the computer (with spell check
wink.png
)

another thing I had problems with is.. colour / color cheque / check ....Canadian / American spellings... the note books in school are in Canadian spellings but when mom would buy me work books to try and help they would mostly be in US spellings..

Quote:
It's not your job to be their uninvited teacher. And on a forum like this, you could be talking to someone who does have a disability and now you'll just make them feel bad.

I'm sorry but I HATE when people correct peoples spellings. We all have different levels of education, and some people have other disabilities making it hard to dot your I's and cross your T's. You never know whos behind a post on a forum !

I just have one thing to say: Why do we teach grammar? Why do we force the English Vocabulary into our children's minds? Most kids would think, "Because I'm not in school, I can 'tak lyk dis.'" The truth is, we teach them in school so they can have good grammar the rest of their life. Lots of people are upset that this thread will make them embarrassed or unhappy that they have bad grammar. This was not meant to hurt anybody! This was only meant to find the "Grammar nerds" of BYC. If anything, this was meant to help their grammar, through practise. I know we all want this to be a comfortable, casual family forum, but we must try our best at the English Language. I do not want this forum to fall into Facebook's grammar level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom