Am I the only weirdo here that doesn't like to touch or hold the

I'm with the OP. I just don't like to touch them. I don't care for the feel of the feathers. I guess I also don't see them as pets, more as livestock. I will, however, sit and watch them for hours. Very calming.

I love to hold the ones that like it. I to give them kisses and hugs. But some people don't. And that is fine. You aren't weird.

I'm with you on not touching them. When they were chicks, we handled them a lot to get them used to us, but now they're 3 months old, and don't seem to care for being picked up. So I chat with them when I'm out there, but don't really pet them or pick them up. They like it that way, and so do I!
big_smile.png

I'm probably somewhere between the two ends of the spectrum. I handle them enough to be able to pick them up if needed in case of a medical emergency or need to move them somewhere, and will gladly give pets to any who want it, but some seem to prefer little to no contact, so I try to honor that as well. My chicks who I hand raised are a bit more friendly (as are a couple of my outgoing pullets & hens), but that may change as they mature. Mine are definitely livestock, not pets, but that doesn't mean I don't show them affection, just that I'd rather they think they are chickens, not lap cats. I do spend time with them sitting quietly and talking to them so they know I am safe and bring lots of yummies.

I think everyone does what feels right for their situation; nothing strange or weird about it!

Last edited:
I try to touch my chickens as little as possible since I am very allergic to them.

I hold the chicks twice a day as I move them between their brooder cage in the coop and the tractor in the run.. On average, I touch an adult once a month.

I don't enjoy getting poo on me, but they're so soft and cuddly! And I LOVE to feed them in my lap!
smile.png
They make me feel loved...even though I know they only like me bc of the food.

Four out of my six chickens will jump up in my lap when I sit in their run. I sit in the coop doorway which is usually clear of poop. Two of the four always come to my lap, within a couple of minutes. One of these would sit and cuddle for hours, I think. I don't let them on my shoulder, definately not my head. I wear earrings and glasses. It would be asking for a peck in the eye, or a lost earring (earlobe?) if I let them get that close to my face. (Besides, their nails scratch me pretty easily) They don't poop in my lap. I guess they hop down when they gotta go. They do have poop on their feet sometimes, so I don't wear good clothes out there. I guess a person could use a "lap blanket" if it is an issue or if you have short pants on. The girls who are lap sitters love to have their back and chest scratched.

I see mine as both livestock and pets; some are pets, and others are just kind of there to lay eggs and amuse me with their chicken antics, and if we get too many roosters (or really mean ones) we occasionally eat some or give them away. Can you ever really have too many roosters though?
tongue.png
I consider all of my bantams pets, even the ornery little rooster. His son is currently nice, though, and likes to sit on my shoulder and come inside to chill on the back of the recliner. lol! He's only 8 or 9 weeks old, though, so I have no idea how he'll be after the hormones hit him. I also have one EE hen that's pretty much a big pet. She jumps up and sits on the edge of the feed barrel when I go to get them some food out because she's hoping I'll give her a handout. She like it when I let her stick her head in and eat out of the jar I use to scoop the food.
roll.png

Out of my batch of hatchery chicks that are 4 weeks old, the Packing Peanut Barred Rocks and the 2 Old English Game Bantams are turning out to be friendlier than the Gold Brabanters, which is okay, but it's a little disappointing because I'm only planning to keep a couple of the BRs (a hen and rooster). I was hoping the Brabanters would be friendly, but mine are kind of standoffish so far. I still like to just look at them with their little crests because they're adorable!
big_smile.png
I love the 2 OEGBs, though. It's a pair, and they'll both fly right up on my lap or arm and just sit there and let me pet them. I hope the rooster doesn't get too mean. My grown bantam rooster is an OEGB, and he can have a bit of an attitude. He was fine when I got him last year(at around 6 months old), but sometime during the winter he turned into a little spitfire, and now sometimes likes to take shots at my feet, but he doesn't do it consistently enough for me to consider him truly aggressive, so he's still around.

th.gif
enough laughter! Yes they are my farm pants as well lol. I also have a farm shirt, it's best to have clothes and pants to wear that my babies can poop on cause it never fails---I GET POOPED ON!
wee.gif
I don't care who likes or thinks it's crazy it's who I am.
celebrate.gif
Hey if your afraid of a little poop get off the farm right. Cow poop has to be the worst imho, chicken poop not so bad. Ok i'm done:yiipchick

It's not that I don't like to touch or hold my chickens, but they hate it - so far anyway. They're not quite 3 months old and still mostly afraid of everything. Although, they are getting "tamer" at least, not running away from me if I'm sitting there quietly in a chair, and almost friendly if I have some bread crumbs to boot.

I don't like to hold them because they freak out when I do - but if they were more tame I wouldn't mind giving them a petting. However, kissing them - just plain gross!

Back
Top Bottom