Am I to late.

wychickenwrangler

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Northeast Wyoming
We recently noticed that out daily egg count was down by one egg, but didn't really think much of it. Thinking that maybe two of them were laying every other day. This morning I discovered why we were short, one of the hens had been going to the barn & laying hers in the hay stack. My question is this. We found her sitting on 5 eggs, and she was in no hurry to move when we went to grab them from her. We would prefer that she continue laying but is it possible that she has already gone broody? If she has & will not lay any eggs for a while, we will just let her hatch them. Any help will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like she went broody to me. Let her stay for a few days to see if she remains sitting on them then maybe move her to a nice quiet comfy spot where she can do her job. Good luck. Mine went broody awhile back. I don't have a rooster so I replaced the eggs with wooden eggs then 21 days later replaced them with 4 little babies. Worked great. She is such a fantastic mama. Got to love Chickens

Back
Top Bottom