Am I wasting $$ Organic VS non-organic feed?????

This is a very good question and i am glad you posted it. I currently give my chickens organic feed, however I am going through some internal dissension as to whether i should switch to the regular stuff because of the cost. I Try to eat organic as much as possible but a 50lb bag here in south texas costs $30 a bag opposed to the $12 acco layer feed. I sell my eggs for $4 a dozen to just help pay for feed but I am finding that most people care more about cost over them being organic. I have an uncle who has raised chickens his entire life and he tells me that it doesn't matter. He gives his chickens scratch, cracked corn, and food scraps and says the eggs are huge and tasty. So needless to say after reading all of the posts here and by others as well as what i hear from my uncle I am having a very difficult time deciding. I think that if I had an easier time selling my eggs I would mind so much, but the vast majority of people who know nothing of egg have a very difficult time paying more than $2 a dozen. A question that I had after reading all of these posts than no body seems to address is: Does feeding organic affect the nutritional quality of the egg? Wouldn't it be worth it to a scientific analysis to determine if there is a nutritional difference in the eggs as well as to determine if there are any pesticide residues or any other unwanted qualities in the eggs. Let us know what you decided and why.

I'll just add my opinion: I don't feed organic because my chickens scratch all day long in my yard (well, when it's not winter) and they love to eat horrible things. I live a few miles from a golf course, I'm sure there's nitrates and pesticides all over this place.

Also... they love the styrofoam insulation around my house. Yes, I've tried to prevent them from eating it once I discovered it. However, they will knock down my barriers to get at it. No point in feeding organic for me.

Quote:
I think organic is worth it for two things in chicken feed: soy and corn. Because it could be GMO if it isn't organic.
My solution: to mix my own feed. I give no soy. The only organic stuff I buy is corn. But it still runs me probably at least $3 or more per 50 lb bag (and more if you include the kelp meal) than the $15 grower feed.

chickensaresweet,
I checked out your recipe as this mix of organic grains and regular grains might be a good compromise. Also,I think, whole grains are a good idea. Your recipe says rolled oats. Oatmeal? Also, if you wanted to up the protein, and not use soy, what would you use? I have been supplementing with hamburg.

No organic, as the cost doesn't get justified in higher quality or health. It seems like more of a label that places a higher dollar value on the bag
sad.png

Now, however, this year I WOULD like to go toward mixing my own feed, only because I like the idea of having food that looks like food given to my chickens, instead of extruded pellets, just like I like to eat food that looks like food, and am trying to avoid eating things that came from a factory/lab instead of a farm.

Of course, my chickens started their nicotine habit from my husband's discarded cigarette butts, until he had the fun of chasing them around yelling at them. I don't even want to know how many they ate, but he doesn't throw his butts out anymore. The chickens eat enough gross and very "organic" stuff, stuff I don't even want to think about. I wonder if mice and frogs are considered organic.....

Personally, I think you are wasting your money on organic feed. My girls free range and always have the Layen available and my eggs are wonderful. Besides, I don't believe there is really any such thing as "Organic". Sure you can raise feed with no pesticides or herbacides but our enviornment is loaded with contaminates. Smog, run off and wind drift all deposit contaminates on our crops so unless you're growing in a greenhouse with purified water you are getting some contaminates.
I know some who buy the organic and I say if they feel safer doing that then more power to them but in my opinion they are throwing there money out the window. Hey, you asked.

Quote:
Patman,
I have purchased a coarse feed produced locally. However, the first ingredient is roundup ready corn. But when the farmers markets start up, it would be good to investigate who, if anyone grows the whole grains, and make my own. It is a good thought. thanks!
Ginny

Quote:
Patman,
I have purchased a coarse feed produced locally. However, the first ingredient is roundup ready corn. But when the farmers markets start up, it would be good to investigate who, if anyone grows the whole grains, and make my own. It is a good thought. thanks!
Ginny

The feed I get is certified by OCIA.

http://www.ocia.org/

You can search the site and see if anyone is close to you.

http://www.ocia.org/ProductSearch.aspx

Quote:
Patman,
Ginny

The feed I get is certified by OCIA.

http://www.ocia.org/

You can search the site and see if anyone is close to you.

http://www.ocia.org/ProductSearch.aspx

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom