Amaraucana chicks, too early to tell? UPDATED PICS

Scumma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Ventura, CA
Hello, first thank you everyone who posts, alot of valuable info in here. Anyways, we just added two more chicks to our flock and we got them from a straight run, and cant tell if ones a roo. The 'suspect'(chick #1) has a protective, bold personality over the other chick(chick #2), sometimes when we go to pick them up chick#1 will stand between our hand and the chick#2, also it will "hover" over chick#2 like its guarding it. Chick#2 is more shy and timid. They are still pretty young for me at least to be able to tell them apart, certain things stick out, chick#1 is a little more mature than #2, is more feathered, tail feathers are longer, even looks a little bigger, though its hard to tell for sure. Hoping anyone out there has an opinion on if they think #1 is a roo. Any replies are very appreciated. Pictures are posted a couple replies down. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Welcome! It might just be my computer, but I am unable to load the pics! Just wanted to let you know :) Maybe someone else can chime in on if they can see them.

welcome-byc.gif

X2 on the photos and yes a lot of people have a difficult time
loading photos on here I guess there is a trick of some kind ....
he.gif

Maybe ya might want to try again
fl.gif

I'll try back later and see if it could be fixed ....
pop.gif

gander007
old.gif

The pictures have appeared! Thanks for fixing that. Unfortunately, I think they are too young for me to tell if they are pullets. Some people swear by certain ways to age chicks that young, such as neck coloring, leg size, etc. but I have not had success sexing chicks that young. Time will tell, though!

ya i guess i kind of expected them to be too young, just hoping maybe someone can tell before i get more attached and have to find a home for him! ill post more pics later when they get alittle bigger if i still cant tell. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom