Amateur 20-something Carpenter/Chicken-Lady Builds Upcycled Coop that Keeps Growing :)

I'm not sure which part you're refering to, but the enclosed roost we originally did 3 ft × 3ft x 5ft h. There is a separate box underneath which was originally going to the nesting area until my girls told me they preferred laying up higher in the roost 😅 We only had 3 girls to start so the roost had enough space. They like to be at minimum 1 foot off the ground when perching and have a lot of head space. We got 4 more chicks a month ago so we extended the Roost up top by 4 more feet and then I added the nesting cabinet which they took to very quickly. The Triangle run in 6ft high and 4 ft wide. There is a tunnel behind the ramp leading to the large rectangular space which is 4ft by 8 ft by 3 ft high with two large, hinged doors on top. I am now adding that tall atrium to the back which is 6 ft by 4 ft by 5 ft high. I just want them to have more room to fly up. I live in a residential area so we don't free range. Plus there are tons of hawks and owls. The girls love this space though. I get an egg every day. I also used hardwire cloth throughout including the floor for digging predators, I just added a half foot of dirt on top so they can scratch.
Where are you located?

I think your dad deserves a great big hug for the early introduction to tools and instilling a can do attitude. I admire your pragmatic approach to "gettin' 'er done" with materials at hand and love in your heart. I think your guy is a lucky boy who should be holding the other end of whatever board you decide to put a nail into!!

Bravo, enjoy, keep smiling!

I think your dad deserves a great big hug for the early introduction to tools and instilling a can do attitude. I admire your pragmatic approach to "gettin' 'er done" with materials at hand and love in your heart. I think your guy is a lucky boy who should be holding the other end of whatever board you decide to put a nail into!!

Bravo, enjoy, keep smiling!
Thank you so much for such kind words! My dad is my favorite person and I believe he is very proud of what I've done. He calls me his Macgyver 😆 I feel so lucky to have my father to thank and also my partner who supports my passions no matter how hairbrain!

Very impressed with your skills, creativity and sense of adventure! I especially like the variety of boards--different wood grains, colors, etc. Keep creating and inspiring us!
Thank you so much! All these comments of admiration are definitely making me feel very motivated to keep going 🥰 The variety of boards is one of my favorite parts too!

Back
Top Bottom