Amateur 20-something Carpenter/Chicken-Lady Builds Upcycled Coop that Keeps Growing :)

thriftyplants

Songster
Mar 2, 2020
I am by no means a carpenter, but I do have a bachelor's degree in fine arts and my father is a builder. I absolutely LOVE working with tools and have since I was a small child. My father had me in a miniature tool belt and hard hat while I helped him out in the shop 🥰

My partner thinks I'm crazy, but a love for chickens has me continuously building this mostly upcycled/scavenged coop and enclosed run. Right now I'm working on an 'atrium' 😂. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_20201019_073117_865.jpg

20201021_072457.jpg

20201021_072444.jpg

(I extended the roost after getting more girls!)

20201021_072429.jpg

This is before I added the nesting cabinet to the back!

20201021_072414.jpg

20201021_072358.jpg

It was a perfect fit!
20201021_072341.jpg

The girls used it within an hour after I installed it ♡

I am by no means a carpenter, but I do have a bachelor's degree in fine arts and my father is a builder. I absolutely LOVE working with tools and have since I was a small child. My father had me in a miniature tool belt and hard hat while I helped him out in the shop 🥰

My partner thinks I'm crazy, but a love for chickens has me continuously building this mostly upcycled/scavenged coop and enclosed run. Right now I'm working on an 'atrium' 😂. Hope you enjoy!

View attachment 2381329
View attachment 2381336
View attachment 2381338
(I extended the roost after getting more girls!)

View attachment 2381340
This is before I added the nesting cabinet to the back!

View attachment 2381341
View attachment 2381343
It was a perfect fit!
View attachment 2381348
The girls used it within an hour after I installed it ♡
So awesome. 🥰🥰🥰
Don't worry about what people think.
What matters, is what your chickens think.

How did you do the frame for your coop out of curiosity? Were about to do a 6x4 and trying to decide if lengthwise or hieght wise is better
I'm not sure which part you're refering to, but the enclosed roost we originally did 3 ft × 3ft x 5ft h. There is a separate box underneath which was originally going to the nesting area until my girls told me they preferred laying up higher in the roost 😅 We only had 3 girls to start so the roost had enough space. They like to be at minimum 1 foot off the ground when perching and have a lot of head space. We got 4 more chicks a month ago so we extended the Roost up top by 4 more feet and then I added the nesting cabinet which they took to very quickly. The Triangle run in 6ft high and 4 ft wide. There is a tunnel behind the ramp leading to the large rectangular space which is 4ft by 8 ft by 3 ft high with two large, hinged doors on top. I am now adding that tall atrium to the back which is 6 ft by 4 ft by 5 ft high. I just want them to have more room to fly up. I live in a residential area so we don't free range. Plus there are tons of hawks and owls. The girls love this space though. I get an egg every day. I also used hardwire cloth throughout including the floor for digging predators, I just added a half foot of dirt on top so they can scratch.

Last edited:
How did you do the frame for your coop out of curiosity? Were about to do a 6x4 and trying to decide if lengthwise or hieght wise is better
Also here's a photo of the actual frame before completed 😊 this one is supporting the extension of the roost and we chose to not close it in for storage
20200926_133502.jpg

20200926_133420.jpg

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom