Amber Star Hybrid

Thomas127

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
I'm looking to buy another 2 hens and I heard that Amber Stars were really good I was wondering where to get one from though I live in England near Oxford. Any places pls tell me.:)

images

Welcome to BYC!

You might want to do some chatting in the UK thread and see if anyone nearby knows where you can get some of these birds...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/74004/england-uk

Good luck and I hope you can find what you are looking for!

Welcome to BYC! Amber Stars are excellent layers of large, brown eggs. They are Red Sex Links, produced by crossing a Rhode Island Red rooster with a Rhode Island White hen so that the chicks can be sexed by color at hatching (males are whitish, females are reddish). Red Sex Links are sold by various hatcheries under lots of different names and if you can't find Amber Stars, you might look for Golden Buffs, Cinnamon Queens, Bovan's Browns, Amber Whites, Gold Sex Links, Brown Sex Links, Golden Comets, Hubbard Golden Comets, Isa Browns, Shaver Browns, Babcock Browns, or Warrens. All of these are Red Sex Links (red rooster x white/silver hen) and all of them are laying machines. Also, you might want to consider Black Sex Links (Black Stars, Bovans nera) which are produced by crossing a Rhode Island Red rooster with a Barred Rock hen (male chicks are black with a white spot on their heads, females are solid black). My Black Sex Links have been a little friendlier and more docile than my Red Sex Links and slightly better layers in cold, dark winters. Let us know how things turn for you and good luck with your flock.

Thx everyone for all the help I might not expand quite yet but am certainly still looking

Back
Top Bottom