1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Amber White....hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickieBirds, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ChickieBirds

ChickieBirds Hatching

Jul 31, 2013
    I bought this chicken a couple weeks ago, was told it was a hen but the wattles and comb seems to be getting bigger. I'm not sure the exact age but it was hatched this year. I'm guessing around 5 months old? It's a couple inches taller than my other hens that are probably pretty close to the same age.

I was told this is an "Amber White" which is apparently a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a Rhode Island White.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

2. annageckos

annageckos Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Please keep in mind that I have no chickens myself, but that looks like a roo to me. Those hackle feathers look long and skinny like a roosters would be. I can't make out any saddle feathers though. Hopefully someone else that knows more then I do will come along soon.

3. K Spot

K Spot Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Roo.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Crowing Premium Member

That is a cockerel. The feathers of the hackles (neck) are pointed. That's a cockerel feature. The super tall legs? Again, cockerel feature as the cockerel must be taller to better mount a hen in breeding and for a high, look out position in the flock. The large comb and wattles, (waddle is how a duck walks, LOL) also are a cockerel's distinguishing characteristic at this age.

5. ChickieBirds

ChickieBirds Hatching

Jul 31, 2013
    Oops, wattle. Obviously I'm a rookie :) Thanks for the info everyone.

6. chickita12

chickita12 Chirping

Jul 8, 2013
    Def. a roo!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by