Ambient temp in house vs heat lamp

Aug 7, 2020
Ambient temperature in my house is 65-67 degrees. I've been running two heat lamps in the brooder because of it's size and chicks are 2.5-3 weeks old with full wing feathers. I'm wondering if it's still a bit too cold in my house to have the second heat lamp off and replaced with a normal bulb that doesn't throw heat.

You normally wouldn't need 2 heat lamps anyhow, unless the brooder was massive (i.e. a barn).

What's the temperature inside the brooder right now, both cool and warm areas?

To be honest my 3 week olds wouldn't use any heat at all at 65-67 degrees, unless they were napping, and even then they sat on their heating pad instead of getting under it, so they got very little heat.

You normally wouldn't need 2 heat lamps anyhow, unless the brooder was massive (i.e. a barn).

What's the temperature inside the brooder right now, both cool and warm areas?

To be honest my 3 week olds wouldn't use any heat at all at 65-67 degrees, unless they were napping, and even then they sat on their heating pad instead of getting under it, so they got very little heat.
I can't see currently because the heat lamp is reflecting on it a bit. I have a camera on them and they seem okay currently. They were sick the first week I had them and I've been no pun intended a mother hen on everything. I fought hard to get them healthy and I'm probably overthinking it. Someone flew well enough to get to the top of the chick water bottle and poop on it. I plan on keeping one the one lamp on for supplemental heat and have a regular light I can turn on and off. My last bantams were off the heat lamp at 4 weeks and fine. Thanks for replying. 😊

I understand what you mean about the ambient temperature. I have my chick's of the same age in my basement. I have an oil filled radiant heater keeping the temp at 60f in the room. I use 2 bulbs also. 100 watts each. One is plugged into a thermostat so if the 2 bulbs reach the temperature setting, one will turn off so the chick's don't overheat. I have ISA Browns and Golden Comets which are maturing and feathering in so much faster than my previous flocks. They are comfortable at 75 to 80 degrees. Today they turn 3 weeks so I will make adjustments. When only one bulb is needed I have a red LED on standby.

Back
Top Bottom