Amer/EE pullets from hatcheries: What color are your eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4myHennyPenny, Jun 13, 2007.

1. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    For those of you who purchased your Ameraucana/Easter Egger chicks from hatcheries (so not necessarily a TRUE Ameraucana), I thought it might be interesting to find out what color eggs you had in the end. Sounds as though the light pink (brownish) is pretty common. Anyone out there getting blues or greens?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i ordered mine from mcmurray. out of the 10, i have one that gives me a pink egg. the rest are green with one laying olive and one laying a blue egg. i'm a little disappointed in the size of the eggs, though. i'm hoping as they mature, the eggs get a bit bigger.

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I would be interested to know as well - please name the hatchery you purchased from.
    I'm getting a couple from Ideal in August...

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    We get blue, green and pinkish brown. My one pink egg is almost mauve in color..very pretty. The blues are pretty too..some light, some teal and some brighter.

We also use Ameraucana (that don't meet the standard of perfection for the breed based on plumage color) in our breeding of EEs.

EEs lay a smallish egg their first year. Once they molt (if they're anything like mine), the eggs can be huge. I've gotten anywhere from small to large eggs from young ones and medium to jumbo from mature hens, depending on the hen.

Jody

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I got EE's over the years from our local Co op that hatches eggs locally. Got mostly olive green eggs, with one really pretty girl laying blue eggs. Poor thing got acities when she was bout 5 and I put her down.

6. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    I have about 25 EE's that came from Tractor Supply so I am sure they were hatchery birds just don't know which hatchery. Most lay beautiful robin blue large to extra large eggs with a few light green and one or two pink.

I have bought several dozen hatching eggs from some of the top Ameraucana breeders this year and thier eggs are not quite as nice as mine... but almost. I also see some light greens (but no olives) in theirs. Ahhh... but it's what's inside the eggs that I'm after now!

I would say for eggs that hatchery birds are just as good as breeders birds at a fraction of the cost.

7. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    5 from Privett - 2 light brown, 1 olive, 1 mint green and 1 between a mint green and a pale blue. Usually small the first year and then decent to jumbo. My 3 year old still lays 5 a week.

1 from Ideal - light brown (at least she DID, until the @#$%(*&*@!! racoon got her last week)

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I have 1 my MM that lays a beautiful light blue egg. [​IMG]

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    mine are from MM they lay teal,blue & olive colored eggs I'm waiting to see what my new girls will lay hoping for different colors.

10. JFL1950

JFL1950 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    Jacksonville, Texas
    ok now when the new chicks hatch are there eggs the same color as theirs were?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by