Ameracauna - Best place to buy

katelwil

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
I'm hoping to get some advice on good places to purchase ameracauna chicks.

There aren't any feed stores that sell them around my area and I'm conflicted about where I should buy them online. One site will sell chicks for $20+ while others will sell for a lot cheaper. Is there a quality comparison between the lower & higher priced options?

I'm wondering if there is a reputable breeder or hatchery that anyone has ordered from, and would recommend?
Thank you in advance for your help! :)

Welcome!
There's a real difference between actual Ameraucanas and most hatchery/ feed store chicks sold with similar names. They are Easter Eggers, very nice birds that can come in any color, with or without muffs, and will lay eggs usually green, but possibly tan, aqua blue, or even pinkish. The EEs tend to be much better layers than many purebreds, who might be bred more for looks than egg production.
Purebreds will be more expensive!!! $20 and up for chicks, very likely, and some in specific colors. If you are interested, look up the Ameraucana breed club, for information and a list of breeders.
Mary

Welcome!
There's a real difference between actual Ameraucanas and most hatchery/ feed store chicks sold with similar names. They are Easter Eggers, very nice birds that can come in any color, with or without muffs, and will lay eggs usually green, but possibly tan, aqua blue, or even pinkish. The EEs tend to be much better layers than many purebreds, who might be bred more for looks than egg production.
Purebreds will be more expensive!!! $20 and up for chicks, very likely, and some in specific colors. If you are interested, look up the Ameraucana breed club, for information and a list of breeders.
Mary
Thank you! This helps a lot :)

I think Cackle sells Real Ameraucanas, but not a wide variety of colors. As a hatchery they are not priced very high, they produce some of the best birds I've seen from one too.
I will definitely check them out! I'm hoping to find some high quality, that aren't such an outrageous price, o this sounds like a good option. Thanks for your feedback. :)

Back
Top Bottom