ameracauna eggs

Big_Red

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 22, 2010
is there any truth to the myth that ameracuana eggs are lower in cholesterol than other breeds?

I read that somewhere but can't remember what the consencus was. I have 1 Ameraucana hen (Blue) and plan on hatching some this spring..... I predict more blue eggs in my future!

Will be interesting to hear what others have to say.

Myth, and it's not just Ameraucanas that lay blue eggs. Araucanas were originally the breed that the myth begin with, but Easter Eggers (what most people have) also lay green and blue eggs, are usually what people are referring to.

The color of the egg means nothing - I have chickens that lay dark red eggs, doesn't mean they taste any different.

Lower Cholesterol is only in eggs from free range/pastured chickens. Nothing breed specific.
smile.png

Before I had my own flock, I got eggs from a neighbor and there were generally 1 or 2 blue eggs in the mix. I'd never heard of blue chicken eggs before, but I noticed that the yolks were bigger and much brighter orange than the brown eggs I got from the same neighbor. They also had a much more substantial "yolky" flavor. When we started planning our flock, I read all kinds of stuff about different breeds, and the question came up again and again about whether blue eggs tasted better or were in some way nutritionally superior. One thing I did read about the Ameracuana breed is that they are excellent foragers and that the differences people notice in the quality of the yolks may be due to eating more worm and bugs -- so a diet with more protein.

I can't speak to whether our blue eggs are different than brown -- none of our brown layers have started yet -- and I'm not sure whether our Blanche is an Ameracauna or an EE -- but she is an excellent forager, and is the most wide-ranging and adventurous of our flock. We'll have to see about the rest.

That makes a lot of sense Kathleen1115. We always laugh at Gabby (our Ameraucana hen) because she is so serious about scratching and finding bugs. Our 2 RIR's only work half as hard as she does. She also LOVES her greens and so I've been making them a platter of veggies for the last few weeks since we have so much snow this year and have also added meal worms. That would certainly account for the different color yolk.

Back
Top Bottom