ameracauna eggs

cactus-hen

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
I have green americauna eggs and brown ee eggs that are on day 15. I tried to candle the eggs tonight and could not see through the shells of the green eggs. The brown eggs have the air bubble on the round end but the green eggs are solid colored. I tried to see through the ones in the fridge and they looked the dame. Do you thing the green eggs are viable?

I don't know, but I can't see into my green eggs either, so I'm leaving them in the bator. Mine look like they have super-thick shells, because no light goes in.

Just a warning about the thicker shelled eggs. You need to watch them and make sure that the aircell is getting larger as they progress. If it stays too small, check your humidity and make sure it is 40 - 45%. Also, if you have any aircells that just aren't getting large enough, you can lightly sand the outside of the egg with fine sandpaper. This will help the egg lose more humidity in the first 17 days.

Would I sand just the air-cell end, or lightly around the whole egg? The ones I can't see into do have me a bit concerned. Also, is it more difficult for the chicks to emerge from these thick-shelled eggs?

Would I sand just the air-cell end, or lightly around the whole egg? The ones I can't see into do have me a bit concerned. Also, is it more difficult for the chicks to emerge from these thick-shelled eggs?

I have the same question. My chicks seem to have a hard time getting out of the thicker shells. (guineas and some of my chicks from the last batch)​

Leave them in and let them continue developing. Ameraucana shells ARE buggers to see through. I don't have an adequate candler to see through them either. What I did see on my last batch, is what you are describing, and mine did hatch. If in doubt--leave it in the incubator--unless of course it is weeping or otherwise looking bad. Good luck! Please give us the final update!

My eggs aren't in an incubator so I don't control the humidity. They're under a first time setter. I have two brown eggs and two green eggs. They were all started on the same day. The air cells on the brown eggs are the same size. I would think that the green eggs would have the same size air cells. Day 21 is the day that I get home from a four-day vacation. I hope they don't hatch early. I'll keep you posted. If I can figure out how to put pictures on this site, I'll get some on when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom