Ameracauna hen not laying eggs yet

This is a pic I took just now. I think the lighting made her comb look more pale. It's def not that pale. I also checked her pelvic bone. If I did it correctly, there's 3 finger space between her pelvic bones. Mind you, my hands are the same size as my 12 year old sons. Lol

I'll try to block off their access to the yard n keep them in their designated area. Would it help if I put a couple nesting boxes around the yard where they like to venture?? My 2 hens that are laying will free range too but they always come back to lay and them go back out to scratch around and play. I assume she'd do the same. She's one of my favorite birds and I don't wanna have to make her dinner but I also don't nedd unproductive birds. I got her with my EE Roo so I could breed them

This is a pic I took just now. I think the lighting made her comb look more pale. It's def not that pale. I also checked her pelvic bone. If I did it correctly, there's 3 finger space between her pelvic bones. Mind you, my hands are the same size as my 12 year old sons. Lol

It still looks slightly lighter then it does in person. Pics just don't always do it Justice. I'm using my phone too rather then my nice camera

Some of my layers that I know are laying do not have popping bright red combs...so it's not always a sure sign.
My fingers are probably pretty average and measure about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" for 2 finger tip widths.

Not that the pelvic points is a sure fire indicator either....nothing with chickens is written in stone, so to speak.

But comb condition, pelvics and lock downs are a few ways to find out.

Back
Top Bottom