Ameracauna or Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jaymeellis06, Sep 21, 2014.

1. jaymeellis06

jaymeellis06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Florahome, Florida
    Can someone tell me what miss Jade really is? I was told Ameracauna when I got her at 4 weeks and just assumed she was really an EE but I read that black ameracunas can have black legs and that is what she seems to have. I don't care either way. She is about 23-24 weeks and I have not gotten any eggs from her yet.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Where did you get her? She actually looks like a true Black Ameraucana. If she lays blue eggs, she's an Ameraucana. If the eggs are green, she's still technically an Easter Egger.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I thought yours had slate legs and was about to agree with Wyandottes7 until I blew up the pic. They appear greenish under the black, which means she'll have yellow skin. That look happens when you have slate overlay yellow skin, giving the legs a greenish cast. Ameraucanas have white skin, not yellow, so they should never have that greenish cast to them that I think I see in your photo.

Here is my 7 year old black Ameraucana, Gypsy, from breeder and show stock, slate legs:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    EE

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana