Ameraucana 2

@KarynVA do you have a Ameraucana or EE? If not no worries this thread is for everyone who loves Ameraucanas!:D:frow
I recently acquired 4 and not from a breeder or anything special so I am going to assume they are all Easter Eggers. 🤷‍♀️

This is my second generation of backyard chicken experience - my first batch were all sex link (Golden Comets). They aged out and went to live on a lovely farm and now I have 4 6-week old newbies to enjoy.
:love

So are the Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers very similar, sounds like? If so, are there any characteristics that differentiate one from the other in terms of keeping as a backyard chicken? For example, egg laying frequency, weather hardiness, broodiness or not, overall health/ genetics.
Difference between Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas! With Review. (Optional)

Intro = = = = = = = = = = = 🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔 @TheOddOneOut is the only other person who I have seen touch on this subject. A link to her thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hink-you-have-an-ameraucana-do-check.1421663/ She goes through all the basics. I wanted to go a bit...

I recently acquired 4 and not from a breeder or anything special so I am going to assume they are all Easter Eggers. 🤷‍♀️

This is my second generation of backyard chicken experience - my first batch were all sex link (Golden Comets). They aged out and went to live on a lovely farm and now I have 4 6-week old newbies to enjoy.
:love
Congrats on the new babies!
Sometimes Farm Stores or certain hatcheries we'll try to disguise true Ameraucanas as americanas or ameracanas. This happened to me with four of my Easter eggers till I did more research and realized that they were EEs.

The pea comb, the white skin, the blue eggs, the beards and muffs..and sex linked dark shanks for pullets.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'd never seen it written that the shank color was sex linked. So I have a bird with pea comb, blackish shanks, all black plumage, brown eyes, beards, muff, no wattles. Age 11 weeks. All indications were she's a pullet. Does the shank color mean for sure? What color of shanks for a black cockerel?

Intro = = = = = = = = = = = 🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔 @TheOddOneOut is the only other person who I have seen touch on this subject. A link to her thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hink-you-have-an-ameraucana-do-check.1421663/ She goes through all the basics. I wanted to go a bit...
Thank you this help so much I definitely see the difference now 😊

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'd never seen it written that the shank color was sex linked. So I have a bird with pea comb, blackish shanks, all black plumage, brown eyes, beards, muff, no wattles. Age 11 weeks. All indications were she's a pullet. Does the shank color mean for sure? What color of shanks for a black cockerel?
I asked Mr Neumann. I wonder if it’s certain varieties, or maybe pullets are just darker when compared to cockerels. I’m curious too. I’ll let you know know what he says.

Ok not sex link like we were thinking. It means a correct color leg shanks can happen even in crossed birds because if a bird that is a cross of 2 leg colors, dark shanks are dominate on the pullets because it is carried on the sex chromosome.

Back
Top Bottom