Ameraucana advice?

candyandcraig

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Mississippi
I just got an Ameraucana pullet from a swap meet last Saturday (9/14/13). She's black and white, rather sweet yet timid, but she has yellow legs and no cheek tufts. I wanted to know if young pullets develop cheek tufts as they get older, and if the yellow legs means she won't lay colored eggs (I heard somewhere that leg color correlates with egg color).
Here's a picture of her:

I was also wondering if she's an eligible show color? I've never seen this color of Ameraucana before, so it made me wonder.

You are right in that is not an accepted color for Ameraucanas. The bird may or may not be an Easter Egger, but it is not an Ameraucana. It will mature into a striking bird.

Thanks for answering! The man I bought her from said he used to breed show Ameraucanas, but I was a little skeptical upon seeing her color. She is very beautiful, though! Pure Ameraucana or not, I'm glad I bought her.

She's not an ameraucana, actually I'm not even seeing Easter egger there. How old is it supposed to be? Better pics, a profile shot including legs and a shot of the comb will help, but I'm not convinced that bird is female. It looks like a mixed breed cockerel with barred rock back there somewhere.

She's not an ameraucana, actually I'm not even seeing Easter egger there. How old is it supposed to be? Better pics, a profile shot including legs  and a shot of the comb will help, but I'm not convinced that bird is female. It looks like a mixed breed cockerel with barred rock back there somewhere.

People will say all kinds of things to make a sale. This bird is not even *close* to any standard so I'd be skeptical of his claims. As in totally skeptical, ha.

I agree this bird looks male-ish from that picture. It does seem to have a few rooster type feathers in the neck(skinny and pointy tipped) and usually mixed birds with barring like that are male.

Leg color has nothing to do with egg color. If he is amer or EE mix, him having a pea comb MAY mean he carries the gene for colored eggs so if you breed him with any hens, some of the daughters may lay green or bluish eggs. But Amer/EE/araucanas aren't the only breeds with pea combs and the other pea combed breeds don't lay colored eggs so it is still a total wild guess at this point.

He does not seem to have beard or tufts, normally they are visible right from hatch.

I agree he will be a very striking bird when all grown up.

Looks like a mixed breed cockerel, probably with some Barred Rock in him. Not even close to being a pure-bred Ameraucana.

I have some more pictures of her if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom