Ameraucana baby feathering.

StephensonC

Songster
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Richmond, Va
This is my first and only Ameraucana out of 8 that hatched, and I've noticed the feathering growth is rather different than my other various breeds of the same age. All the feathers are slowly coming in and are different lengths and are coming in at different rates. This one is 7 days old. I was wondering if this is the normal for this breed and if so, does it neccessarily indicate gender. Are there any tips and tricks when it comes to sexing?

This is my first and only Ameraucana out of 8 that hatched, and I've noticed the feathering growth is rather different than my other various breeds of the same age. All the feathers are slowly coming in and are different lengths and are coming in at different rates. This one is 7 days old. I was wondering if this is the normal for this breed and if so, does it neccessarily indicate gender. Are there any tips and tricks when it comes to sexing?
From the wing pic, I'd say hen but I may not be right

Wing feather sexing only works with certain breeds, when the chicks are very young. I don't think it works with Ameraucanas. Cute chick!

Back
Top Bottom