Ameraucana Boy and Girl right?

jenangelcat

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
I posted a week or so ago asking if these two were Ameraucanas (that's what the breeder told me). One poster said that they matched Ameraucanas except for the clean face. Well they are no longer clean faced so I'm assuming they are Ameraucanas? If you think they are easter eggers can you tell me why?

Regardless what I really want to know is the gender. I think I have a boy and a girl but what do I know?

IMG_5397.jpg

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

I think the one with the brown breast is the roo, the other the hen.

You're probably right about the roo/hen but of course for this breed it's particularly hard to tell. Look at the thickness of their legs, see if the one you call a roo has slightly thicker legs.

I'm a novice; but I love to play this game.
I vote two pullets. Lots of rounded feathers.

X2
i don't see the pointy sickle feathers, just lots of rounded ones...
IHO
Melinda​

The one with the brown/red breast is indeed a cockerel. Pullets cannot carry color leakage like that, and he's got a mighty big comb coming in.

They are indeed real Ameraucanas, but the cockerel is showing that you've gotten your birds from a bad breeder who doesn't realize they have gold leakage in their birds that should be solid blue.

just about certain, one boy, one girl. too early for saddle feathers, but this breed (whether it is good enought to be called ameraucana or just EE) is slow to comb. That is a fair comb for a hen that age.

His feet are a little yellow underneath which is funny because they weren't the last time I looked. Hers are not yellow at all. We got them from the same breeder, same age (7 weeks).

Then they are easter eggers that have been bred up. Ameraucanas have white skin.

Yellow skin is recessive and it takes two copies of the gene to express. Your female probably only has one copy of the yellow skin gene and can pass it to her offspring especially if you breed her to your cockerel. I'm pretty sure 100% of your offspring will have yellow skin.

Back
Top Bottom