Ameraucana color question

Quote:
OH NO!!!! Don't call her an Araucana...you will hurt somebodys feelings
wink.png

There are only two egg colors, Blue and White. If you want to know what color your egg really is crack it open and look on the inside..... any hen hatched from a blue egg will lay blue eggs.

No I am not going to post sources, I have tried that in the past (most recently on chicken nutrition) and it does not convince anybody on here no matter how many PHDs the researcher had after their name. If you disagree with me go to the library, log onto ebscohost and look it up.

The point I am trying to make is that Araucana was a term being used by hatcheries for years before the APA stole the term and stuck it on a "breed" So the hatcheries are well within their right to continue to call what they have always called Araucana, an Araucana.

EE is a generic term, I agree. But lets not forget in all your "true Araucana/Ameraucana" breeder glory that the birds you breed are decended from "mutts". Don't march around holding your "breed" up with asteem above its roots.... Good for you, you selectively inbred a chicken that is APA show worthy.......

Last edited:
Quote:
If the bird, as a breed, was formed in the early part of last century - then it is safe to say that people are no longer selectively choosing foundation stock, but are now purchasing and continuing someone else's long hard earned work. The breed is established, and while it can and has been inbred(linebred) and tweaked over the years since it's genesis, it is still someone else's 'idea' in your back yard flock today.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, there are two colours of egg shells. However a hen that hatched from a blue egg will not necessarily lay a blue egg--it really depends on whether her mother had one or two copies of the blue egg gene. If mama only had one copy, then the chances are only 50/50 that that parent passed her a copy of the gene. Odds would improve if the father also carried a blue egg gene.

I've read plenty of poultry genetics research and sources, but the genetic knowledge in your posts doesn't match most of what I've read.

However do you manage to consider araucanas or ameraucanas to be INBRED? And why is creating a standardized breed a PROBLEM?

Quote:
OH NO!!!! Don't call her an Araucana...you will hurt somebodys feelings
wink.png

There are only two egg colors, Blue and White. If you want to know what color your egg really is crack it open and look on the inside..... any hen hatched from a blue egg will lay blue eggs.

No I am not going to post sources, I have tried that in the past (most recently on chicken nutrition) and it does not convince anybody on here no matter how many PHDs the researcher had after their name. If you disagree with me go to the library, log onto ebscohost and look it up.

The point I am trying to make is that Araucana was a term being used by hatcheries for years before the APA stole the term and stuck it on a "breed" So the hatcheries are well within their right to continue to call what they have always called Araucana, an Araucana.

EE is a generic term, I agree. But lets not forget in all your "true Araucana/Ameraucana" breeder glory that the birds you breed are decended from "mutts". Don't march around holding your "breed" up with asteem above its roots.... Good for you, you selectively inbred a chicken that is APA show worthy.......

proof is in the pudding.....
I can tell you have never crossed a brown layer and a blue layer, period.
I think what Birch Run was getting to was her *araucana* that lays off-color came from a blue egg? It does not lay blue
hmm.png
I have come to the conclusion that you only come to these discussions to "stir the pot", which is why I felt I have danced this dance before.....
Most breeds descended from mutts, but are now *pure* because the standards are adhered to maintaining the *breeds*
Spreading misinformation doesn't help anyone
hu.gif

have to add.....
just because a breed wasn't accepted by the APA until a few years ago it doesn't mean it didn't exist. How many years have marans been around? If they don't lay at least a 4 on the scale they can't be considered a marans. They are NOT recognized (yet) by the APA, does that mean they aren't a breed? They don't exist?
If you took a bird that looked like a Marans but it laid a cream egg(maybe sometimes darker), called it a marans, they didn't breed true, is that acceptable? I would think not.

If the hatcheries started selling Black Copper Marans, before they are accepted. Then it becomes accepted, are you saying they don't have to adhere to the standard because they were selling them before they were recognized by the APA?

There are other breeds that aren't accepted by the APA and if someone started messing with those breeds, trying to pass them off for what they aren't, the breeders would be upset.

The fact is, there is money in blue eggs. They cross them out to increase production and to get different colors to make it interesting. EE's are great, they are just not ameraucana and should not be sold as such...JMO

.....It is like eye color in humans. Blue parent and a Brown eye parent does not make a blue/green eye color in their kids....they will be blue or brown depending on the dominant gene.

My blue eyed mother and a brown eyed man produced my brother with hazel eyes.

Then there's my husband and I, we've got 3 kids each with different eye color. He is blue eyed and I've got DARK brown eyes. Oldest child had the most beautiful blue eyes until she turned 4 then they turn a silvery hazel. Middle child born with the most beautiful blue eyes, he's 5 now and they are still blue. Then there's my baby, she has greenish brown eyes. I had thought from my high school science classes that he and I could ONLY have blue or brown eyed children but that most would possibly be brown because brown is dominate. Blue eyes were probable because both my mother and my husband have blue eyes. Where did the hazel and the greeny brown come from? ALL of my children come from the same parents. They each have a different color hair too!!

My point being: there are anomalies out there. Sometimes things don't breed true. People, chickens, cows, dogs, etc. Sometimes those anomalies produce the most beautiful results!!!
love.gif

Quote:
yes, eye color is a bad analogy
I have hazel eyes, my dh has very dark brown. We have 2 very dark brown eyed children, 1 regular brown, 2 hazel, and 1 blue eyed.....

anyway, sorry brahampooter, we kind of went way off
hide.gif

Your boy is handsome and should help you get some more blue/green layers if you breed him to another ee or ameraucana. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom