Ameraucana help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Sep 11, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Okay, so five of my seven ameraucanas have turned out to be roos. I'm going to try to keep three of them and need help deciding who to keep.

I need to decide between these two blues. There is about three weeks difference in age. Both were born in May.
    Blue roo #1-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He's the one standing tall in the back. This shot shows his dark blue color as opposed to a true black.

Blue roo#2-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other three options-
    Splash roo #3-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Splash roo #4 (also known as Poor Yorrick)-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black roo #5-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay, ameraucana gurus... what do you think? Who should stay and who should go?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi CityGirl,

I raise, breed, & show the WBS Ameraucanas so I'm not the person to counsel you on Blacks & Blues. I will just say that you probably want to take into consideration your future breeding efforts in your decision. For example, if you want Blues, then keeping the Black Rooster with Splash hens would be a good idea. Or keeping the Splash Rooster over Blue hens.

If Jean sees this, she can help you. My other suggestion would be to post these on the ABC website and you'll get feedback from a lot of VERY knowledgeable and well-qualified folks.

God Bless,

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    wow!!! very nice...I love the 2nd one and the 4th ....they are all handsome, lucky you...Send them to me!!!! [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I hadn't thought of the ABC website. Great idea!

The two hens are a black and a blue. I really like the variety of getting blue, black and splash chicks so I know I want my main roo to be a blue. I just don't know whether the darker blue is a better choice or not. I'll go ask the ABC people.

I really want to keep Yorrick the splash as I have a special fondness for him. He's low enough on the pecking order that I'm hoping he can stay in the mix without there being fights.

The black I want to move into my LF coop. Most of those hens are in shades of brown. I'm hoping that the black/brown mix will make a line of really pretty EEs.

So the decision is which blue- the lighter or darker? The other splash is already on the sell list. I just need to figure out which blue is going too.

2texmedics- I love #2 and #4 as well!! I think the #2 blue is gorgeous! I"m just not sure of the genetics. I vaguely remember reading that a darker blue roo is better for lacing purposes. Dunno.

5. pocopoyo

pocopoyo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    Size and shape are more important than the shade of blue.
    You probably want the biggest one with a nice deep chest.
    You want the one that is wider across the back. You can check this by gripping your hand right behind the wings.
    Also, you want the back width to continue down the length of his back and not get too narrow as you get to the legs.
    The eye color should be red. Should have a nice pea comb, close to the head with three even rows. Should have well developed muff and beard with three full lobes.
    For blues you want a darker lace of blue on each feather. Better to have a dark blue bird with well defined lacing than a medium shade with no lacing.

You need to compare the various attributes and weigh the values.
    One bird may have a better beard while the other has a better comb, etc.
    Keep the one that is best overall.

Size and weight and width are more important than color.
    Comb and beard are more important than the shade of blue.

Pocopoyo

6. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    shade of blue is not so important, you want the best conformation.
    Im fussy about size of pea combs... so I if everything else is equal, I would go with who has the smallest comb.
    Based on your photos.....Your blue roo #2 might be the one I'd eliminate from your breeding program.

As for laceing... breeding your black roo to the blue hens will improve laceing.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Just giving you a bump.

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks.

[​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Shows what I know.

I love #2

9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quote:See! I like #2 also. I like the big chest, and the fact that he doesn't seem so rangy. Maybe his beard is a little lacking, it's hard to tell from the pics. But from a distance, he's a really good-looking bird to my eye.

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i like 2 nd 5 they both look like quality roos and dont look ratty like ameraucana cockerels can i think you should maybe go with them

they both are filled out nice as well big chests

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by