Ameraucana help

More info after sitting in the run for a half hour this evening.

#2 has a nice broad back and is evenly broad all the way back. He does have a large comb that isn't quite even. His muff and beard are okay, but not as great as #1. He is clearly the dominant roo out there as well. I tried rearranging them tonight (it's the first night in the new coop) and he was really dominant with the silkie I tried to add. She faced down all the others and ran in fear from him. For that reason alone I am thinking about selling him. Of course, that could mean that he's the best protector of the flock. Dunno. Hmmm...

Roo #1 is three weeks younger than roo #2. He's about 15 weeks as opposed to 18 weeks for roo #2. He's not quite as big and broad as roo #2, but that's possibly a growth thing. Their legs are the same size. Are roosters like teenage boys where their feet grow first? His shape is nice overall though. His muff and beard are great. Really fluffy and thick. His comb is redder and flatter overall. He's the Cree Farms blue roo. His coloring is less dramatic than roo #2, but still nice overall.

Where's Pips&peeps when you need her?
smile.png

Roo #5 is the same age as roo #2 and is from the same breeder (the Gardners in GA). He's a keeper as he is going in the other LF coop to make little EE babies.
smile.png

He is probably the most striking in person. His feathers just glow. In the right light you can see irridescent blue, purple and green in there. He's just stunning! He has totally changed my opinion of black chickens.
love.gif

I was thinking myself that it was hard to judge between the 2 blue roos since the one is younger, and appears to be much less mature.

I do like the younger one's stance - very upright. And if he has a nice beard and muffs, that speaks well of him.

If you decide to get rid of #2, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice new home for him. He's very handsome!

I'm thinking now to go ahead and sell the splash I know I don't want to keep and just wait another couple of weeks to decide on the blue roo. They aren't hassling the girls yet, so it doesn't have to happen right now.

I am really waffling between the two blues. About the time I decide to keep one I get a good look at the other and change my mind. ARG! Why are they all roosters?!!!

OK keep #2 blue dump #1, keep black , dump the 2 splashes.
2 blue looks like the right shade of color and he look hevyer and biger and has a good head and tail careage.black has a good tail and nice head and looks hevy and the splashes just onestly dont look as good as the black or blue they dont look as big or have a near as good a head as the blue.this is my opinion and im basing it on a showing Qaulity standerd so dont take it personal.

if i can figure out how to put a pic on here il post a pic of my blue male and his girl...............

Last edited:
I would dump the #2 splash for sure, he has gold leakage on his wings.

If you can keep the two blues a few more weeks to decide on them I would. The younger might catch up to the older one in size.

At this point, I do like the second blue better than the first one.

Just make sure they have bay eyes, the bottoms of the feet are white, they have slate legs, (not black, only blacks can havce black legs).

The comb should be small, but is a negotiable item if you are just starting, roosters can be replaced the next spring.

Also the tail should be carried 45 degrees above the horizontal. So, try to get them away from the flock to see how they are carrying their tail, lowered tails is a sign of submission in the presence of a dominant roo. No one likes to get their butt kicked......

So what causes the gold leakage in the splash feathers? I noticed that coming through just recently, but only on the splashes. It is more prevalent on Splash #2 for sure.

I will doublecheck legs and feet tomorrow. I think they are all slate. What are bay eyes? Their eyes are dark and not gold like some of my other chickens.

Pips&Peeps, I have 4 that hatched from the lot I got from you. They are still too small to tell gender, but it is likely that at least one will be a cockeral. Sigh. My luck they'll all be roos. I figure I have more choices coming.
smile.png
I got two blue and two black out of that lot.

Splash #2 is staying for now for sentimental reasons. He was a house chicken for a while due to me smushing him accidentally and I confess to being really fond of him. That may all change once he really hits adolescence, but for now he has a GREAT personality. After a year and a half of hateful roosters I am ready for a nice one! He is low on the pecking order, so I doubt that he will breed with anybody in there. He will likely move into the other LF pen anyway to help create EEs.

I need to get new pictures (if it ever quits raining!). Blue #1 is starting to fill out also. He's still not as pretty as Blue #2, but has a better personality and also came from Cree Farms eggs. The color was a little better than the egg color of Blue #2. For now I'm going to keep Blue #1 and wait to see what I get from the Pips&Peeps hatch. Again, it is VERY likely given my luck with ameraucana hatches that I'll have several to pick from. Sigh.
Thanks for the help, y'all!

Bay is a reddish brown.

I think the gold leakage is just because the splash does not have the color modifiers the blues and blacks carry. It does indicate that the line he came from does carry gold. Sometimes you will see red in the splashes too.

If you cull hard for color you won't see it pop up after a season or two. Another thing you might find on your roosters is that when they are around a year old you may find gold leakage on their heads. This is usually around the eyes or comb; it happens.

I try keep a couple of each color each year so I have plenty to choose from. Combs can also suddenly "grow" overnight into larger than desired or lean to one side.

At the moment I am keeping one of each. The black and splash will go in the other LF coop and the blue will stay in with the ameraucanas. I figure if something happens to the blue I can switch over the black. He's a fine looking bird too and given my odds with roosters, it wouldn't be long before more roosters popped out!

Thanks for clarifying the gold leakage. I will keep an eye on it. Interesting that gold pops up in the BBS line. Why would gold be in there in the first place?

Where do you put all the roos? Do you have a bachelor pen? I feel like I am constantly juggling adolescent roos around here trying to keep the peace.

Back
Top Bottom