Ameraucana hen?

jimandcaitlin

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 10, 2014
I got this chicken among others at a live stalk auction. It said she's an americauna hen. I can't find any pictures that look like her and really and hen pictures that look like her. She almost looks more like a rooster to me because of her colors and tail, but she doesn't crow and doesn't try to fight with out rooster, so she's got to be a hen? Any thoughts? Anyone seen a chicken that looks like her before? She does have the puffy cheeks which you can't really see from the side picture.

Thanks!

Would a grown rooster not crow at all and show no interest in our other rooster? That's what throws me off. He / she doesn't act like a rooster at all. Our other rooster crows up a storm and acts...rooster like. Also, we started getting green eggs, so it's either this one laying them or the other one who has no feathers on her back and seems to be going through a molt.

I've noticed that younger roosters/cockerels sometimes do not crow if there is already a dominant rooster, especially if the dominant roo crows a lot. Could be he's just being quiet and submissive. :)

Eggs are not coming from that guy, no doubt there. He might just need time to adjust to a new environment, or maybe there is a dominant rooster over him that isnt letting be interested in the hens.

Would a grown rooster not crow at all and show no interest in our other rooster? That's what throws me off. He / she doesn't act like a rooster at all. Our other rooster crows up a storm and acts...rooster like. Also, we started getting green eggs, so it's either this one laying them or the other one who has no feathers on her back and seems to be going through a molt.

It's not this fellow laying them, he is all roo. Sounds like you must have another EE that is a pullet!

Oh, the egg most likely is coming from the other bird. Is she just missing feathers on her back, or other places as well? If it's just her back, she's not molting and she's still laying. That feather loss is from roosters mounting her.

The bird pictured is definitely an Easter Egger, not a purebred Ameraucana. I'm guessing that's why you haven't been able to find a picture that looks like him: he's basically a barnyard mix.

I got this chicken among others at a live stalk auction. It said she's an americauna hen. I can't find any pictures that look like her and really and hen pictures that look like her. She almost looks more like a rooster to me because of her colors and tail, but she doesn't crow and doesn't try to fight with out rooster, so she's got to be a hen? Any thoughts? Anyone seen a chicken that looks like her before? She does have the puffy cheeks which you can't really see from the side picture.

Thanks!

Those auctions get lots of 'hens' and 'purebreds'. Notice the spelling with the 'i' that is a dead giveaway that they are EE's. True breeders of Ameraucanas won't misspell and the coloring of the birds is much different, as well as having both muffs and beards.

Back
Top Bottom