Ameraucana or Easter Egger chicks and what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blizzardxblue, Sep 27, 2014.

1. blizzardxblue

blizzardxblue New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    Hi, so I want to show these chickens at my state fair through FFA, and wanted to know what breed and gender my chicks are. I know chances are huge they are EEs, but would just like some clarification. I'm also worried that the first chick is a cockerel and not a pullet. The chicks are 4-5 weeks old right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Only one of your photos came through. I'd say you have an Easter Egger pictured in that one, but check here for photos of the 8 accepted colors of the true Ameraucana

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

3. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    I see one pic and one pic only and it appears to be an EE, however it's just the back...lol

4. blizzardxblue

blizzardxblue New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    Whoops! Just fixed it! Thanks for the input!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you see green legs, automatic Easter Egger. Ameraucanas always have slate legs. EEs can have any color legs, but often do have greenish ones, which means they have yellow skin-dark overlay over yellow skin gives it a greenish cast. Ameraucanas have white skin, always.

That's what you have there, EEs.. First could be a cockerel, later chick looks like a pullet, but definite Easter Eggers. Bet they'll be nice looking birds.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  6. blizzardxblue

blizzardxblue New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    Thank you! I had that feeling *sigh*. The eggs will make up for it though :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by