Ameraucana or Easter Egger...Pullet or Cockerel?

Katie Faucher

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2017
We received 2 chicks that were hatched in my daughter's first grade class. When I asked the teacher about the breed she said she thought they were Ameraucanas. These were obviously not sexed. When I asked my daughter what color the eggs were that the chicks hatched from she said, mostly brown and white with one blue egg. The birds that hatched were a mottled brown (like the one we got), yellow, black, and one grey chick (the other one we received). My guess is that these chicks are probably Easter Eggers not Ameraucanas. What do you all think?
Also, any guesses if these are pullets or cockerels? I think they are about 5-6 weeks old.

After getting the 2 chicks from my daughters class we decided to get 2 more from the local farm store (IFA). These two were advertised as Amercauna pullets. I think they are slightly younger at about 5 weeks. Let me know what you think...my guess is we might have 2 more Easter Eggers and I am not convinced they are both pullets.

Sorry about the pictures in advance...they were hard to get! Thank you in advance for your insight.

Here are all four chicks. The two classroom chicks are in front and to the right.
all4.jpg

Here's the brown classroom chick. (Chick 1)
rosie.jpg
And here is the grey classroom chick. (Chick 2) She has the most pronounced comb but also might be the oldest.

Luna.jpg luna2.jpg

Here's are 2 picks of the two IFA chicks and Chick 1. Chick one is darker than both IFA chicks.

3 chicks2.jpg 3 chicks.jpg

You more than likely have EE's. True Ameraucanas are hard to come by from what I hear. Looking at the pictures, my first guess would be all pullets, but its still a little too soon to tell. About 8 weeks old you should know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom