Ameraucana or EE, gender

JesseR89

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
Westminster, MD
New to chicken raising, in June I purchased what were sold as two ameraucana pullets from a May hatch aged approximately 6 weeks. Now they are about 16 weeks, I assume. Clearly at least one of these is an Easter egger. There are clear differences in tail feathers and feather color/pattern. Neither have very defined combs or wattles at this point. They both have the ear muffs and bushy hackle feathers that stand up when they are beefing with one another. Behavior seems to be more aggressive with one over the other, but very skittish with humans. Any help in identifying breed and more importantly gender would be greatly appreciated.
C84A4993-AF9B-442B-959B-30575D5CAA4C.jpeg
BCAF8E01-A813-4EF6-9AFD-F9022BC3C458.jpeg
AEC7CEED-7691-4B19-898D-A789A8AB9FF4.jpeg

New to chicken raising, in June I purchased what were sold as two ameraucana pullets from a May hatch aged approximately 6 weeks. Now they are about 16 weeks, I assume. Clearly at least one of these is an Easter egger. There are clear differences in tail feathers and feather color/pattern. Neither have very defined combs or wattles at this point. They both have the ear muffs and bushy hackle feathers that stand up when they are beefing with one another. Behavior seems to be more aggressive with one over the other, but very skittish with humans. Any help in identifying breed and more importantly gender would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 2309632View attachment 2309633View attachment 2309634
Looks like 2 beautiful EE pullets to me! 😍Females will spar with one another, it's all about the pecking order. I have 3 of 9 pullets that are 5.5 months old now, and they still spar daily with one another. The alpha is trying to maintain her position, as her 2 sisters are starting to get bigger than her. LoL I would keep working with your girls, offer treats by hand, be patient and make them come to you by waiting them out. Dont give in and throw them on the ground. Then you can use 1 finger to gently rub their chest, after awhile of doing this, they will run right to you because you are the treats person! LOL

Sigh of relief! Although the breed isn’t exactly what I wanted, I am happy with the gender. Thank you all
They could have Ameraucana genes in them.... wait and see what color eggs you get. Purebred Ameraucanas lay blue eggs, birds with these genes that are not purebred result in blue/green, olive, pink, beige, brown eggs. Then you will know for sure A vs EE. 👍 A lot of people have crossbred different colored Ameraucanas, resulting in all sorts of feather color patterns. :)

Back
Top Bottom