Ameraucana or EE?

sneedleali

In the Brooder
May 27, 2017
Puget Sound, WA
I'm just getting started raising chickens. This little cutie is one of our first chicks. She was sold to us as an Ameraucana, we bought her (still hoping it's a her) knowing full well that the feed store may have been incorrect. I was wondering if this is a true Ameraucana or an Easter Egger? She is about 6 weeks old in the most recent pictures (hoping it's a she, sold as a pullet chick). She's on the left in all the group photos.
IMG_20170518_144558.jpg
IMG_20170504_174643.jpg
IMG_20170420_101159.jpg
IMG_20170530_201407.jpg
IMG_20170530_201711.jpg
IMG_20170428_130758870 - Edited (1).jpg
IMG_20170428_130747242 - Edited.jpg

I would say you sweet bird is a "she" but think she is an EE. And there's nothing wrong with EEs, (I adore mine) but I do not like that they're sold as "Ameraucanas". Sadly, I don't think I've ever seen anything but EEs in feed stores.

I would say you sweet bird is a "she" but think she is an EE. And there's nothing wrong with EEs, (I adore mine) but I do not like that they're sold as "Ameraucanas". Sadly, I don't think I've ever seen anything but EEs in feed stores.
I was really surprised when I discovered they were selling them and figured it would be too good to be true. I'm not at all worried about her not being true since we have no plans (or even the space/ability) to breed her. My preschooler and toddler love her so I'm more excited that she is looking to actually be a she so we can keep her around. It was mostly just curiosity getting the better of me! Thank you!

EE's also generally have slate legs. If you didn't pay a lot of her, she is probably an EE, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It would be easier to evaluate her, if she was alone in pictures. One of her facing front so we can see comb development is any, and a profile standing view of her. to check for other gender clues.

My Ameracaunas came from a breeder but I do have a nice blue Wheaton ameracauna that I purchased from a feed store. Local feed store though not a chain maybe that's the difference. I've heard tractor supply has actual ameracauna from time to time though I've never seen them in there and I always walk by their bins in case I spot a gem.

EE's also generally have slate legs. If you didn't pay a lot of her, she is probably an EE, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It would be easier to evaluate her, if she was alone in pictures. One of her facing front so we can see comb development is any, and a profile standing view of her. to check for other gender clues.
She is my crazy bird. The best flier and always on the move. I can never get good pictures of her! I'll try to snag some better ones at some point today. It's really more curiosity than concern.

My Ameracaunas came from a breeder but I do have a nice blue Wheaton ameracauna that I purchased from a feed store. Local feed store though not a chain maybe that's the difference. I've heard tractor supply has actual ameracauna from time to time though I've never seen them in there and I always walk by their bins in case I spot a gem.
"She" was purchased at a small local chain but I knew when I bought her there was a good chance she wasn't what they said she was. As long as she doesn't turn out to be a roo I'll be perfectly happy. How do you identify an Ameraucana chick?

Back
Top Bottom