1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana/Plymouth Rock Cross? Will the Children's Eggs Be Blue?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rivers2011, May 31, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    I have six Columbia Rock chicks (one month old) and want to get a rooster for them after they start laying.
    I'd really like blue and green eggs but am wondering if an Ameraucana rooster will pass on those genes...

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    If the Plymouth rocks earlobes are red (I think they are) the hens from your cross will lay light olive colored eggs.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    N/E Texas
    There are two basic egg colors - blue and white. When you crack open an egg you see this color on the inside of the shell.
    Then there are various shades of brown that get painted on top of that - all the way from none (white or blue) to dark chocolate brown (marans).

This cross will give you a blue egg with light brown over the top. That makes green.

no color over white base = white egg
    no color over blue = blue
    light brown over white = regular brown eggs
    light brown over blue = green
    dark brown over white = dark brown (marans)
    dark brown over blue = olive

4. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:So basically, almost any breed crossed with an Ameraucana, whether it be hen or rooster, will produce green or blue eggs? (the exception being a cross with the chocolate brown egg layers)

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    N/E Texas
    Yes, assuming the blue-laying parent is a true ameraucana. That is, they carry two copies of the blue-egg genetics. If they only have one copy, only half of the offspring will have any shade of green or blue. The others will lay white or brown eggs.

Many chicks sold as "Ameraucana" are cross-breeds and may only have one blue-egg gene. You can't know this until you see what color eggs their offspring lay.

6. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:The gene stuff is fascinating...and thanks for the part about the Ameraucana crosses - I'm hoping that a very honest breeder who's been very diligent about his/her research will tell me if it's a cross or purebred when I ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by