Ameraucana Projects Thread

I think I will look for some nice Blue Ams to cross with my Silvers... yeah, anyone else working on Silver Blues???????
Yes.I used blue wheaten.Mike Gilbert made some using.He sold them and no longer has any.Blue silver is the correct term I have been told.Second generation for me this year.

I think I will look for some nice Blue Ams to cross with my Silvers... yeah, anyone else working on Silver Blues???????

Yes.I used blue wheaten.Mike Gilbert made some using.He sold them and no longer has any.Blue silver is the correct term I have been told.Second generation for me this year.
Mike no longer has them, but someone was offered some Blue Silvers (yes you're right, that is the correct term) and spoke to Mike about them on the ABC forum. The blue hens I have were someone elses project birds, so I am not starting with pure Blue. It may work it may not. Helps to have a few other hens in the pen with the Silver roo, so he doesn't wear them out. Had a Speckled Sussex pullet sneak in there this morning when I was feeding. LOL! I was thinking about that cross anyway, so I let her stay. It will be an interesting summer!
If things don't look favorable with the two blue hens I currently have, I will look around for some better Blues anyway. I love Blue! And I love Silver! It's a natural match for me!

I say your photo of the Blue Silver pullet with the wheaten in it. Pretty girl!

Looking for some information from experienced breeders -

How difficult is it to breed out the brown egg genetics in chickens?

My current project idea is to breed White Leghorns to an Ameraucana Rooster and continue to cross the next generation back to a pure bred White Leghorn while selecting for the pea comb (and blue egg gene). I was also thinking I would like the breed to have some Black Australorp in it to help with temperament and weight but if it is too difficult to breed the brown egg laying back out after that cross I wouldn't do it. Anyone try it? After 2 crosses back to white leghorns should I be safe/no brown egg laying genes in the mix?

Looking for some information from experienced breeders -

How difficult is it to breed out the brown egg genetics in chickens?

My current project idea is to breed White Leghorns to an Ameraucana Rooster and continue to cross the next generation back to a pure bred White Leghorn while selecting for the pea comb (and blue egg gene). I was also thinking I would like the breed to have some Black Australorp in it to help with temperament and weight but if it is too difficult to breed the brown egg laying back out after that cross I wouldn't do it. Anyone try it? After 2 crosses back to white leghorns should I be safe/no brown egg laying genes in the mix?
Using white and brown layers should lighten the brown color.I would suggest crossing leghorn and austrolop first.Then ameraucana.You will have a better chance of pea comb and blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom