Ameraucana Pullet or Cockerel?

You have a tricky little one here. On one hand your little ones comb ( that I can see) only has one row of peas. As I understand with this breed would indicate a female . On the other hand the comb is reddening which would indicate cockrerel unless she as at point of lay, which she/he is not. I think someone who has this breed, has raised them, and is real familiar with the breed would be better able to tell the sex. Hopefully they will see your post and be more helpful. For what it's worth my guess is female but I'm no expert and I've never had this breed. Wish I could be more help.

Five weeks is kind of a hard age to judge it by because they haven't molted to get in their "real" feathers (the complete color pattern and texture they will have when they are adults) but from what I can tell it appears to be a Pullet. Do you remember if you bought the Pan Fry Special or specifically marked Pullets? Generally Pan Fry are roosters with the rare occasion of getting a hen and in the pullets tub are the sexed females which are obviously more likely to be actual pullets. Our girls are about that age (ours hatched around the 3/21 or so) and I think we ended up with a male in the batch of sexed Pullets but mistakes happen sometimes. You'll know for sure if it starts crowing later on or starts to begin developing sickle feathers! Do you have any others of her breed to compare her to? I have found that the males seem to mature a tad bit slower, ours seem to look a bit behind each week so far as far as growing in feathers and the comb seems to be more of a rosie red color than our other girls. I mean feather growth on males isn't a whole lot slower just enough that it seems to be a difference between the two. I will try to get some pictures this evening when we go over to take care of our chickens (we live in the city so we keep our birds on some of my families land).

-I am sorta new to having a profile on backyardchickens.com but I have been raising birds for eight years now

Last edited:

Here is mine.. Same age same breed and I'm pretty sure she is a he haha.. So fingers crossed for you ...her comb looks like she's a female.

Ps this one is also almost double the size of my other birds

Sorry it took me so long to get these photos posted! It made it near impossible to get nice photos of them when the weather has been so nasty lately! The first two pictures are of Mr. Roo (his temporary name until we think of something better for him), notice how he has three rows of "Peas" where as the last three photos of Daisy (the pullet) she only has one row of the peas. They are called peas because the complete comb type is called a Pea Comb so each individual bump is its own pea. Please note Ameraucanas come in many colors these are two different varieties of the Ameraucana breed but they still have the same features just different feather colors/patterns. Oh btw my birds are about 6 weeks old. I know it is hard to tell but mine do have beards it is just they are going through that phase where they are growing in their "big kid feathers." Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Sorry it took me so long to get these photos posted! It made it near impossible to get nice photos of them when the weather has been so nasty lately! The first two pictures are of Mr. Roo (his temporary name until we think of something better for him), notice how he has three rows of "Peas" where as the last three photos of Daisy (the pullet) she only has one row of the peas. They are called peas because the complete comb type is called a Pea Comb so each individual bump is its own pea. Please note Ameraucanas come in many colors these are two different varieties of the Ameraucana breed but they still have the same features just different feather colors/patterns. Oh btw my birds are about 6 weeks old. I know it is hard to tell but mine do have beards it is just they are going through that phase where they are growing in their "big kid feathers." Hope this helps! :)
Oh my gosh, I appreciate this SO much! Thank you so much for this helpful information! I'm really hoping "Buttercup" isn't a Roo after all since I am only seeing one row! :)

Back
Top Bottom