Ameraucana sexing

Willow2253

Crowing
Dec 6, 2019
Eastern Oregon
Anybody who raises true ameraucanas, when do you start seeing differences between males and females? I bought 4 straight run blue and black ameraucanas From a breeder that are now 4 weeks old and they still look totally identical. I’m starting to get eager to figure out if I have any males because I have a batch of farm store chicks that are the same age, and I can already tell I have an accidental rooster in with those. Any help is appreciated.

Well, they can be very tricky to gender ID. Normally you have to wait until they are at least 10-12 weeks old to be sure. Peacomb differences will not really show up until then and saddle feathers even later. Many young ameraucana pullets have very pink combs as well to complicate things even more. Be patient and post photos of your birds at that age if you still are unsure. Good luck. They are gorgeous birds! I have a 14 week old splash pullet that I am still not 100% sure of!:)

The chicks are now about 7 and a half weeks old, and I’m starting to see a difference in combs. Both of the blacks and one blue have combs like this
6E1130DC-A20C-4A3E-8275-B0AB7CCDCD1D.jpeg

and the other blue looks like this
899B9AC8-4E55-4D23-950A-C74D14F22DC3.jpeg

I’m thinking that the second blue is a boy and the other 3 are girls.

The chicks are now about 7 and a half weeks old, and I’m starting to see a difference in combs. Both of the blacks and one blue have combs like this View attachment 2349459
and the other blue looks like this
View attachment 2349458
I’m thinking that the second blue is a boy and the other 3 are girls.
I think you are probably right! When the saddle feathers come in and you will know for sure.😊

I’ll be relieved if there’s only one boy. I’ve got 6 other boys that I have to figure out what to do with. I can only have 2 or 3 in the main flock, and there’s not many people looking for roosters to keep around here.

I’ve found that usually by 4-5 weeks I can tell which are going to be boys. Some of the more recent ones I’ve hatched I’ve been able to suspect the Roos by 2 weeks. I’m new to raising Ameraucana’s but I’ve hatched about 10 batches so far this year and have another 2 incubating 🤣

Back
Top Bottom