Ameraucana temperament

LuluSilver

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
I have 3 blue Ameraucana pullets- just turned 12 weeks old. I’ve had them since they were a day old and they still hate me. I’ve read breed descriptions online, but I was wondering what everyone else’s Ameraucanas (not Easter eggers but true Ameraucanas) are like?

My true am rooster is aggressive hens where aswell all where skittish. Def not a breed id ever get again
Mine are so skittish. They scream and hide when I come into the run. When I have to pick them up they scratch and bite (and scream)- I’ve got bruises on my arms from the little stinkers 🤦‍♀️

All of mine are pretty great. Even the ones I didn't spend as much time with.

Only one rooster is temperamental and bites but other wise does not challenge me. He doesn't even bite all the time just when hes upset.

The girls like to hang with me. I have one I call queen of butts because anytime I bend over she has to get on my back and sit down. She also likes ridding my shoulder around the pen.

My other rooster is just indifferent about most anything. I can pick him up anytime I want.

The ones I've not spent much time with I can pick up almost anytime.

On those notes, I would think it might be the lines they come from. All of my Ameraucanas come from Cackle. I have read most the posts from Steve Neumann who breeds BBS, Blacks, and Silvers. He selects for behavior as much as for conformation.

Mine originally come from John Blehms line, and they are really good birds. Curious and very aware, a couple of hens are my sweeties who always have to know what I'm doing. Some are indifferent, but they get along well in the flock. The roosters / cockerels are respectful of people.
We have about 6 different breeds, the Ameraucana are always included in the sweet bird pen with English Orpington, where we also first integrate juveniles.

Mine originally come from John Blehms line, and they are really good birds. Curious and very aware, a couple of hens are my sweeties who always have to know what I'm doing. Some are indifferent, but they get along well in the flock. The roosters / cockerels are respectful of people.
We have about 6 different breeds, the Ameraucana are always included in the sweet bird pen with English Orpington, where we also first integrate juveniles.
So Cackles are out of John Blehm lines as well. All of their colors are from those. I have the lavender, black and BBS.

They have warning about the shredder gene in Lavender and about cross beak. I've been reading through everything on the sight again and the Ameraucanas are limited on the quantity you can purchase.

Group breeding if you are not selecting for the best will hurt any line.

They are good enough to start with tho to create your own breeding program for those that have problems finding breeders in their area. Or if they are having issues with EE's being sold by people as Ameraucanas.

I would agree with @NagemTX that it depends on their breeding line whether they are really friendly or not. I think when they are not bred for temperament they can be really flighty and easily panicky. I’ve had really great luck with mine, but they’ve come from local breeders and not hatcheries so maybe that’s why? None of them are super snuggly friendly, but they all visit me and let me handle them. They also get along really well in my mixed flock, not the bottom but not at the top. Maybe try getting some from a different source if you can? The Ameraucana Breeder Club has a directory with breeders listed by state. That’s how I got mine 😍

Back
Top Bottom