Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

  1. TinyTotsSeramas

    TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Can someone help me figure out if one of these 2 are Ameraucana and one is EE or if both are EE or Ameraucana?
    I was told they were both Ameraucana but I knew better that they probably wont be. I figured that if one or both were EE that I could just give them to my mother when her coop is made (I have no use for them since I have show birds that are all Bantams except for 2.. this is my first time dealing with Ameraucana/EE).

    anyways in an earlier post I was told both are EE and also one was EE and the other was an Ameraucana but not a reconized color in turn also making it EE (since not reconized)

    So can someone help me! TIA!

    chick #1

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Chick #2

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. flgardengirl

    flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

    4,427
    63
    246
    Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:Here are my blues when they were babies. I really need to breed some of these and get more ameraucana babies. I initially got ameraucanas to create Olive eggers with my BCMs BUT they are the sweetest birds I own (even the roos) and now I want more, more, more!
    [​IMG]

    Here is a pic of a light blue roo. He is lighter now than in this old pic from last year. This guy is permanently attatched to me every time I enter his pen. All he wants to do is be cuddled.
    [​IMG]

    One of my blue ameraucana girls in the middle of all these black copper marans lol.
    [​IMG]
     
  3. Goose and Fig

    Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

    8,603
    37
    308
    Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:thankyou, just want to be clear, the clean faced hen was a Gardner "cull", he gave her to me before he ate her, she easily made it to our layer flock.

    Mr. Gardner's breeder pen and growout pens had many great wheaten birds with full beards, imho- he knows what he is doing and all he does is wheatens and bw ams. lucky to find him and he is right around the corner from my In-laws, hope to see him again in 2 weeks and bring something home [​IMG] ...

    now cpartist's birds are right around the corner from me here too and Halo is 30 minutes south of me. I would be dumber than I already am, if I did not take advantage of my luck with this...

    Do you have Larry Gardner's contact info?

    I got a bunch of wheatens from (maybe it was Randy) Garner (not Gardner) last year. They all died within a few months, never got any eggs. The one black that survived just started laying at over a year old. He was the brother that was retiring from the birds. None of the ones I got were culls, just not very hearty. There were soooo many birds, but the set-up was nice for somebody that doesn't have to worry about predators.

    I've ended up with a lot of clean-faced birds from respecatable breeders the past few years, unfortunately they were sold to me as eggs or straight run chicks, so I paid full price for my culls. Very discouraging, but I kept trying and trying. Finally got a nice flock together that I am proud to finally be able to close. At least for now.
     
  4. Goose and Fig

    Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

    8,603
    37
    308
    Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:They both appear to have yellow skin, which would make them EEs. Honestly they look identical to my Delaware project chicks. I think the top one might be blue cuckoo. Cute!

    Nice blues everybody!
     
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. TinyTotsSeramas

    TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:They both appear to have yellow skin, which would make them EEs. Honestly they look identical to my Delaware project chicks. I think the top one might be blue cuckoo. Cute!

    What does the white one look like it will be?
    And the first one has a green/grey tint to its legs. but the picture was taken in the shade and color was sort of distorted
     
  6. MobyQuail

    MobyQuail c. giganticus

    2,114
    32
    171
    Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:Do you have Larry Gardner's contact info?

    I got a bunch of wheatens from (maybe it was Randy) Garner (not Gardner) last year. They all died within a few months, never got any eggs. The one black that survived just started laying at over a year old. He was the brother that was retiring from the birds. None of the ones I got were culls, just not very hearty. There were soooo many birds, but the set-up was nice for somebody that doesn't have to worry about predators.

    I've ended up with a lot of clean-faced birds from respecatable breeders the past few years, unfortunately they were sold to me as eggs or straight run chicks, so I paid full price for my culls. Very discouraging, but I kept trying and trying. Finally got a nice flock together that I am proud to finally be able to close. At least for now.

    thank you HappyMtn, it is "Garner", I am simple and have another friend named "hillgardner" too. I met Larry (Randy) Garner, back in Nov 2010, all he has is wheatens and blue wheatens. I do understand his brother Anthony had dissolved his projects. sorry bout that experience for you. I respect and appreciate your opinions and your birds.

    I do not want to put any words in a nice gentleman's mouth, so to be clear, this is all my opinion. Larry (randy) Garner has always been very nice to me, invites me over whenever I am in the area and answers all my simple questions with a smile and a lesson, that I leave scratching my head over only to kinda get a couple days later. if you have read any of my posts, you know my chicken knowledge is simple but hopefully growing- it has been my positive interactions with the several breeders mentioned previously, and the more experienced people on these forums that have helped me overcome some of the heartache and learning curves with our beloved birds.

    apologize if I was overzealous in posting and pontificating with my limited knowledge.

    TD
     
  7. Sarplaninec

    Sarplaninec Chillin' With My Peeps

    76
    0
    81
    Jun 27, 2011
    Rock Hill, New York
    Quote:Beautiful hen, what color is this referred to? Is there anyone that breed these types of hens but with larger beards?

    She's a Wheaten Ameraucana hen and her beard looks pretty full to me. [​IMG]

    Yes, her beard is full the way I personally like them. I would like to know if anymore breeds these wheat color Ameraucanas with full beards?
     
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. Noncentzter

    Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,346
    13
    161
    Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Does W/BW chick eye color change? I've heard that they are sposed to have Bay (red?) colored eyes, but the chicks that I've hatched lately have more of a yellow color...

    ETA: grammar
     
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  9. jeremy

    jeremy CA Royal Blues

    8,122
    134
    326
    Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:She's a Wheaten Ameraucana hen and her beard looks pretty full to me. [​IMG]

    Yes, her beard is full the way I personally like them. I would like to know if anymore breeds these wheat color Ameraucanas with full beards?

    I do. [​IMG]

    There are many folks here on the thread that raise the Wheaten variety.
     
  10. MobyQuail

    MobyQuail c. giganticus

    2,114
    32
    171
    Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:She's a Wheaten Ameraucana hen and her beard looks pretty full to me. [​IMG]

    Yes, her beard is full the way I personally like them. I would like to know if anymore breeds these wheat color Ameraucanas with full beards?

    I got that bird from Halo (kathy), I "think" that she and cpartist (luanne) share some bloodlines. [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by