Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I've had a few wheatens hatch with a dot on the head. My best BW ever had an actual " ! " on hers.

We just hatched some BW Am x Wheaten Marans chicks. I was expecting to have solid yellow chicks and was worried about mixing them up with the BWs, but all of the OEs have stripes of varying degrees.

Have to agree with Jean. My wheaten flock is closed now. I'd rather work on my own issues than be surprised with anybody else's anymore.

2. stonecottagefarm

stonecottagefarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    Quote:Hi Jolly, when you say "best" do you mean personality wise or look-wise? lol.

3. stonecottagefarm

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    Does the dot or ! mean that there are non-ameraucana genes in them? Or that different ameraucana colors were mixed? Or is it something that is will happen always in "purebred" lines from time to time?

I've never had this happen with our rooster and hen we have and just assumed it never would so I was a bit surprised to have that happen.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    A small dot occurs occassionally, but stripes are not good.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My BW girl with the ! (it was just on her head) had a solid blue tail. She was gorgeous- til the coons got her, that is. She was from Garner x Tailfeathers wheatens.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Oh, I'm sad to hear this. I have a blue Am that until last week was 1/3 the size of it's hatch mates. Last week it finally had a little burst and is now almost 1/2 their size. (They're 4 1/2 weeks now) This is the one that had protruding vent issues. It's always been very active and a little bossy even. Accept for the day I found it with the swollen vent. Prep H took care of it and it was back to running around that night. I was so hoping it was on the road to a healthy "full sized" life. The sad thing is it still doesn't have a tail so I may not be able to keep it any ways if it turns out to be a roo. (Assuming late tails = roo......I know, never assume lol) It's one of my friendliest.

7. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Aww what if it turns out to be a roo with no tail! [​IMG] poor little guy lol

8. stonecottagefarm

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    pips&peeps :

A small dot occurs occassionally, but stripes are not good.

As bummed as I am, I am really glad that we can tell right away when they are chicks and that 'easter eggers' are... well, branded. If that makes sense. Some breeds, we don't know until they are older sometimes.​

9. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    My three white Ameraucanas are 9-10 weeks old and the older girls are still picking on them (even though they've been seeing each other for about a month now). They get to roost in the same area (but I started separating them again during the day) and they pick on them if they are on the same piece of 1x4. Now I have four 1x4's on which they can roost, probably fit three big chickens on one 1x4, but they choose to use one for each of them and then pick on the Ameraucanas who try to pile on top of each other. [​IMG]

10. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Try making a small area in the pen where only the little ones can get in. I do that with pheasants. Keeps them from being pecked to death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by