Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Quote:He's not like Lafayette close but I know that lamike raises ameraucanas. He's in the Bossier City area if I remember correctly. You should post on the Louisiana thread.

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:He's not like Lafayette close but I know that lamike raises ameraucanas. He's in the Bossier City area if I remember correctly. You should post on the Louisiana thread.

Thank you for the info
    I did post on the Loiusianna Thread.
    I tried looking up lamike on the BYC User List and go no hits. Is the spelling right?
    Any one else ?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If it is for sure not a possible frizzle, then the curling is from spending too much time indoors. Often chicks, or even older pullets/cockerels will get a frizzled effect from either nutrient deficiency or spending too much time indoors. It would be awesome if that was a frizzle though - Frizzled Am's are very rare. [​IMG]

And, [​IMG] everyone again. I'm down now to just owning one blue Ameraucana hen (she'll always be my prize girl) and a few Buffs and Wheaties for my Buff program. I've gotten several chicks from the flock, but many got sold from being either clean-faced or having a muffs/beard allele missing. My few keepers sadly died though, and now I just have ONE chick. Waiting on more to hatch. My one chick though is adorable - Looks like a full grown wheaten hen in color (light brown top, white bottom) so it's quite likely a Buff x Wheatie.

Also, on the topic of Buffs - I had an interesting accident at first. My first Buff eggs I hatched out were ALL mutts. (turns out a frizzled bantam actually CAN mate with a fullgrown hen. . . ) and ended up being frizzled and smooth feathered Cochin crosses, however, about 50% of them were a buff color with black smudging, the other 50% were, no joke, a khaki color. Solid khaki. It wasn't dun - Dun is a nice dark brown color. These were an outright sooty grayish dusty color. They were very beautiful, but I sadly don't have pics of them. They were sold before I could get photos, but I really do hope to see them again sometime soon. (by that I mean visit the new owner's place)

ETA - the accidental dad was pure solid black.

I would have loved to see the Khaki color! That sounds neat! I am still pondering how to go about improving egg color in my Buffs. I ended up with 2 pullets from Meredith's flock (after culling a clean faced girl and one that I really didn't like the head on) and out of 9 roosters I am down to one from Jean's stock. I have a very nice wheaten boy from Jean's stock that I might use. I was told using the wheatens to cross with, will produce light under feathers, but what the heck color should be used?! It would be great if you could post pictures of your buff x wheaten crosses as you work on this color [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Will do. [​IMG]

I'm being a bad girl and using a blue, but like any other color except wheaten, blue takes a long time, and F1 chicks most certainly will look like EE's in color, as they'll have a LOT of (blue or) black on them. And of course, you'll need to cull the blues. I'm using my blue girl though to improve egg color, muffs/beard, and head shape.

Well I spoke to the new owner and she's had a few drown in her duck pool. No mention if they were the khaki ones or not. [​IMG]

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Awe, poor chickies.

How common is it to get clean faced birds when breeding pure stock?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Depends on the color, and of course, number one - Depends on who you got them from. [​IMG]

In Buffs it is very common due to a lack of people working on them, and in general a lack of common population.

In Silvers I've never heard of it.

In Brown-Reds I've never heard of it.

In Wheatens and Blue Wheatens I have heard of it, but thankfully not too often. There are some breeders out there who gaurantee having no issues.

In Blue, Black, and Splash it sadly does pop up. There are a few known breeders who it is far more common in than others, so watch out.

In Lavenders I've heard of it, but I think people are doing a pretty good job of trying to keep it on the low.

In Whites I've never heard of it.

Of course, many people don't care about it, but honestly it is a breed trait, a very well known one, that shouldn't be missing.

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:If it is for sure not a possible frizzle, then the curling is from spending too much time indoors. Often chicks, or even older pullets/cockerels will get a frizzled effect from either nutrient deficiency or spending too much time indoors. It would be awesome if that was a frizzle though - Frizzled Am's are very rare. [​IMG]

Its never been indoors , well other then in the incubator during incubation and long enough to dry after hatch.. lol. I keep them in a pen outside. No heat light, not necessary cause its so hot down here in Tn.

oh and none of the other chicks have the issue either.

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Here's a few close up photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Well I am kind of bummed out. This weekend I moved our 7 BW and SW chicks from the chicken tractor I use for young birds to their own run and coop. After doing so I noticed one of the BW pullets has a serious wry tail. She is very tame and sweet so she will be on her way to the laying pen. Can't believe I didn't notice it sooner.

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:It's amazing what can be overlooked when there are so many other good things to see. This spring I had a Faverolle pullet that was AMAZING, and I had looked at her feet because I saw that she had perfect toe spacing between the 4th and 5th toe....THEN I happened to notice (after growing her to nearly POL) that the toenails were missing on the 4th toe on BOTH feet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by