Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Songster

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    Wow. I've tried to read the thread, but ... 1041 pages? [​IMG]

I'm a new chicken mommy, and have three chickens which were sold to me as Ameraucana ... but I'm sure they're probably EEs. Can someone look and tell me what they think?

They're all 12 weeks old now.

This is Dusty, and is supposed to be a roo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is Hazel (on my knee) and Matilda (background)

[​IMG]

and another of Hazel:

[​IMG]

I was looking for one with a better shot of Matilda for her feet and legs, but I can't find one.

Any help? Don't be shy to tell me to take my EEs and get outta here - won't hurt my feelings a bit, I promise! (editing and reediting trying to get pics to show - may end up leaving links!)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011

2. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Songster

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    pips&peeps :

Sometimes they go through a "fugly" stage where they look like they don't have a beard and muff. But if they had them as chicks, they should have them as adults.

Stubs are feathers on the legs.

They never had them - hatched without them last week and don't seem to be growing them.

I suppose I will just be selling them as easter eggers then. Weird. All their parents have muffs and beards. They are all B/B/S and true ameraucanas - but the 2 chicks are just muffless. Have you guys ever seen that?​

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:They never had them - hatched without them last week and don't seem to be growing them.

I suppose I will just be selling them as easter eggers then. Weird. All their parents have muffs and beards. They are all B/B/S and true ameraucanas - but the 2 chicks are just muffless. Have you guys ever seen that?

If the parents only had one copy of the beard and muff gene, then it is possible to get clean faced birds.

4. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Yes, your birds are easter eggers.

5. SteveH

SteveH Songster

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Definately EEs, and that's a nice colored cockeral you have there. I love EEs, but grateful I studied up on the subject befor buying my first Ameraucanas; there are both those intentionally misrepresenting what they're selling and those that actually just don't know themselves.

6. flower

flower Songster

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Dusty has a pea comb which is characteristic of Ameraucana and EE. He brown/mahogany and black motteling belong to a Sussex as do his white feet. So he is a mix therefore and EE and the girls are pretty EEs also. They are not a standard color nor are their feet. Ameraucana feet are greyish blue named slate except the Blue Black Splash variety. Actually only the black have black feet and legs as well as beak. Black are my favorite right now.

http://www.ameraucana.org/

Quote:

7. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Songster

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Interesting!

Anyway, now that that's solved, I wondered if anyone here had ever bred a chicken that was half ameraucana and half faverolle. I would be very interested in pictures if anyone has any.

8. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Actually the black variety can have very dark slate to black legs.

9. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Songster

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    Thank you all so much! I'll leave you to your beautiful babies!

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Someone over on the Olive Egger thread posted pictures of Ameraucana X Faverolles, you'll have to do some digging but there are pictures. The birds were beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by