Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- they do look like boys but they could also be pullets at point of lay. If nobody is crowing I'd be waiting for eggs.
    Wheaten legs could still darken up.

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:You rock! Good Luck!

3. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Reed [​IMG]
    marlowmanor [​IMG]

Glad you are joining us!

Denise

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:The legs should darken on the wheaten varieties as they mature. They take the longest to mature and finish out of all the varieties in my opinion because the feathers go through such a transformation as the adult plumage comes in.

5. jfishdr

jfishdr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Thanks Everyone for the comments.

So far NO ONE is crowing, but I do think I am going to be over run with Roosters soon.

I will keep watching and post some more pics soon.

I'm not 100% sure on age of these chicks as they girl I bought them from couldn't remember exactly, but looking at various posts I'd guess 2-3 months old? Maybe older so I think that pushes the rooster concern higher.

Reed

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I'm putting 14 more Blue Ameraucanas in the incubator this week Hopefully I'll have better success this time. [​IMG]

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I have a little Wheaten pullet that I hatched off and I'm on the fence whether she's a keeper or a cull. What do you think of her color? Too dark? Just right?

3rd one from the left:
    [​IMG]

In front of the cockerel:
    [​IMG]

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I like her. She's got a nice tail going on there. And the legs are nice too!

Just a general observation of the wheaten variety lately, the one thing I see lacking on our pullets and hens is the heads; they are supposed to be a rich wheaten.

I think the lighter heads may be causing lack of color we are seeing in the beards and muffs of the males.

It's really hard with the patterned birds to make improvements because I know I get too focused on one thing then I forget the list of other items that need improvement too.

9. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    My blues are 8 1/2 weeks old. From a distance it looks like 2 roos and two pullets. The roos have very wispy tails, raised red combs and red around their eyes. The other two have much more defined tails and no red around the eyes. Even the feathering on the two groups looks very different from each other. However on closer inspection one of the "pullets" has more of a triple comb and is slightly pink. (Looks even pinker in the last photo, more so than in real life) This happens to be the one that was a runt up until 2 weeks ago, when it had a huge growth spurt and it's tail finally came in.

Any chance this could still be a pullet? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The forth one (roo) has moved over the top of them in this photo. The others are still in the same order.
    [​IMG]

10. jfishdr

jfishdr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Yours look to be the same as mine....[​IMG] which is a lot of roosters. I'm hoping for one pullet at least.

What line of birds do you have?

Reed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by