Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Congratulations to the 4-H winner! I agree that there are a lot of nice folks in 4-H and they teach a lot of good values. I'm sure MANY of the people on this forum got their start in poultry through 4-H and FFA, including me. It's time for me to "pay back" a little. I'm hoping to be able to get more young folks around here started in poultry. My kids are all grown now, and several of them were involved with poultry as they were growing up. Any of the birds I sell will be discounted to 4-H'ers. I also intend to get certified in doing the pullorum testing and help out with poultry projects with the kids throughout the year.

Someone asked me if I would consider judging their county poultry exhibit! I don't think I'm qualified to do that, but if push comes to shove I'll grab my SOP and do the best I can. From what I have seen around here there is a lot to learn at the very ground level.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:That's awesome!! Yeah, I discount everything for 4Hers, and sometimes even give it away depending on the situation. I have also sponsored memberships for three of my 4Hers in the regional poultry club that I belong to because they want to keep showing and compete more with their birds beyond 4H. One of the moms is even getting into it and just bought herself a small flock of large fowl Cochins and her first show is in October! [​IMG] My 4H club is growing like crazy right now, it's AWESOME!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Good news!!! I FINALLY found a poultry show in Ontario, Canada with an actual "Ameraucana" class - on September 24. (Perhaps it helps that there is an active ABC member that lives near by?) Finally, I can go to a show and might actually see some proper Ameraucanas. Woo hoo! [​IMG]

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:Congratulations to your son for his fair winning poster. My youngest son is just finishing his last yer in 4-H, and my daughter ended last year....Many good experiences and good times. My son got a special award last year, for stepping up and taking care of his sisters chickens, ducks and geese when she injured her knee and had to have surgery. Three years ago he made a 4 x 8 coop as a woodworking project for our first heritage chickens. Lots of nice folks in 4-H, and good values. [​IMG]

what a great idea my son is doing broilers next month. 40 birds.. and he is doing a year long science school project with ameracauna's he chose them so they would breed true but also because of their personalities and hardiness. Im going to check with the 4-h lady about the coop building project. we dont really have a 4-h group or club so its just us.. but I would like him to do things that are positive and give him good feedback..

props to your son, Jeanine for his winning poster.. can you take a pic of his display and show it off to us.

5. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Quote:They haven't started. They are 15 weeks old today. Maybe in a couple more months [​IMG] I'm glad to hear Smoky is still nice and I can't wait to see pictures of him. A couple of my Am's have some small splotchy gray spots like the neck of my Delaware. It's interesting!

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Just wanted to let everyone know about the pullet eggs I set last month. 8 of 8 hatched and all are doing fine and dandy! Eating, drinking, and strong. Just very small. I think they will catch up to the bigger ones soon though. [​IMG]

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I LOVE it!!! Congrats to your boy! [​IMG]

8. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I love it! Tell him congratulations for me [​IMG] Way to go [​IMG]

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I had to put my best and favorite Wheaten Ameraucana hen in the layer pen. [​IMG] 22 out of 26 eggs I've hatched of hers since April were ALL roos!!! The boy gene she passes on is just too strong I guess. [​IMG]

10. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:WOW you hatched 26 eggs from one hen? I haven't had chickens lay 26 eggs total, all year. [​IMG] (ok, since I got them this past May)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by