Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    What is a "split"?[​IMG]

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    In my case its a black chick that is carrying one copy of the recessive lavender gene. Split usually means that the bird is carrying one copy of a recessive gene and most of the time we use it to refer to black split to lavender.

3. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Hmmmmm, sounds like I need a crash course in genetics.

4. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the great pictures, now i'm sure mine are EE's too.has been confusing trying to figure out what they are.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:I just know the genetics for my color varieties. I'm no expert. I have a Black and Lavender pen and I get Blacks, Black Splits, and Lavenders from it. I only have blacks in there now to improve type and feather quality. I have some very well feathered Black hens that will improve my line.

6. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Hey guys i'm looking for White or Splash Ameraucana hatching eggs. Any help would be great!! [​IMG]

7. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Quote:I got my white Am's from NoseyChickens. I know others such as Pips&peeps also have whites. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I got my white Am's from NoseyChickens. I know others such as Pips&peeps also have whites. [​IMG]

And Sands' poultry. They list whites on ebay wuite often- I think they are Pip's lines as well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  9. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Joan have your White Am Pullets laid any eggs yet ? Smoky has grow a lot lately but he has also managed to get dirty on the front of his chest and head ? I want to bath him before I take pictures. He remains very gentle and likes to be held but not as much since he is becoming aware of his role as the man in the flock. He has no competition and this is good because he can just glide along with his hens some of whom are a year older than he is. But the flock is harmonious so far.

Every so often some one else has chickens that need new homes. The yard just adjacent to my girls has offered me a silver laced Wyandotte ? Just one more chicken to feed !

10. stitch_b

stitch_b Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Hey everyone I have one buff ameraucana chick I hatched about a week ago. Today I noticed (his?) Comb looks to be 3 rows. Does this mean that I have a for sure roo? Are the hens with combs like this? I can try to get some pix if it would help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by