Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:Oh so sorry! [​IMG] Its always the favorites- I swear. Hope you find as pretty a girl soon.

So sorry for your loss.

I agree it's always the favorites that are taken first. I have one I am willing to give away for free (read "not wanted or loved by me") and it got left out OVER NIGHT, by mistake. It was still alive and crowing in the morning. (The cute little lav chick I loved and wanted and paid through the nose for? died in less than 2 weeks. [​IMG] )

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Oh heck yeah, Ed and Shawna have some of my Ameraucanas...I was thinking that they only had pure lavs though...maybe they got some black / lav splits from me at some point though...are yours splits? If they are pure blacks they aren't mine, they've only gotten eggs from my lav pen. [​IMG] How old are yours?

3. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    He said some were from you and some pips & peeps. He did mention that they could be splits, he could get a better feel from the sheen color. Must say, he is a very nice guy - was great to deal with, and will be getting more from him in the future. They are/were just over about 6 mo. Cena is growing in some beautiful feathers, great sheen! We were kind of hoping to use those two as our nursery builders for next year. Hatch out and keep 4 or so. Since Nala was our only blue layer, it would have been easy - no chance of EE hatches, since we wouldn't be taking brown eggs.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    So far 5 out of 8 AM pullet eggs have hatched. [​IMG] The others look like they will too. We'll see. So far they are just like regular chicks, just smaller. They are not weak or anything though, very strong in fact, just smaller. [​IMG]

5. marlowmanor

marlowmanor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Linwood,NC
    Who has Splash, Blue, Black or Lavender started pullets (about 6wks old) for sale? PM me what you have, prices, and what shipping to NC will cost please. Since it seems noone around me has them available I guess I will have to have some shipped. It would be nice if it was someone fairly close (SC, VA, TN, GA) or at least on the East coast. I just want between 2 and 4 really. Prefer pullets since I believe 2 of our 5 EEs are roos plus we still have our BR roo which makes 3 roos out of 8 chicks currently. I know I'll have to get rid of at least one EE roo and I'm still trying to get rid of the BR roo and my RIR pullets. No luck so far with that.

6. AmiableHen

AmiableHen Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    MA
    Quote:Hello jfishdr [​IMG]
    Contratulations, and Welcome ! I too am slowly working my way through all the back pages. Good Stuff! I am on the search for some nice chicks...we have some Spring chicks, which turned out to be 5 little roos and only 2 pullets. My dh thinks they are wonderful with their friendly little personalities. [​IMG] So am hoping to strike while the iron is hot. I guess he likes those fuzzy little faces, because he likes our bantam Salmon Faverolles too.

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Ed's growing out a bunch of pure lavenders from me right now too...don't know if he's planning on parting with any of those or not, but if you got a lav pullet, you would know for sure if your cockerel is a split or not...

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    SO EXCITED! I had my first broody Ameraucana.... and today she started hatching out babies! It looks like so far she has two hatched out. I tried to look under her (bad idea.... she drew blood defending her chicks) and it looks like she could hatch out about 8 more.... Now if I remember she should have Black and Black Splits and Lavender under her. So far only blacks. I'm really excited. I have them in a blocked off part of the coop and once she has them all hatched out I'm going to move them into their own run. [​IMG] I'll get some pics onces shes through hatching.... I hope shes a good mom.

9. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Congrast! It is exciting when you have chicks hatching out whether under a hen or in an incubator.
    We had 1 of our Ameraucana hens go broody back in May and she hatched out the only fertile eggs we had at the time (Old English Game Bantams). She was a very good mom. She was never aggressive to us when we peaked under her but of course she is our daughter's show hen so she was been worked with a lot for showmanship.
    We have the other Ameraucana show hen acting like she is trying to go broody on us. This week she made a warning noise at me when I got the eggs from out from under her that she had never done before. None of the eggs in her coop are fertile. She has not laid any eggs herself in weeks but keeps going in and setting on the other hens eggs while they are all in line for the nest box. I have to move her so the others can lay their eggs. She is the bossy hen of the coop as well and hogs the food too. They have 4 nest boxes and they all lay in one and often there a 2 hens in one box when one hen takes too long to lay.
    Good luck on your chicks and enjoy them while they are young!

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Its adorable to go in there and look in and you see a little chick head popping up under her wing! It just melts the heart.... well of a chicken person. I honestly don't care how many she hatches out. I don't have that pen very organized right now anyway. I'm thinking these are the chicks of the last rooster that was in there. I didn't pay much attention.... go figure. I wish my Brown Reds would go broody or something so that I could get some more of those. I'm thinking the broody bug isn't very contagious in the Amers LOL. I wouldn't have found the chicks until I fed if the dog hadn't thought she need to go outside at like 7:30 this morning! So then I sat out there for like two hours with them! I'm hoping she has some Lavenders under there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by