Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:Be careful what you wish for!!!!

I figure that as soon as I start hoping for hens is when I will get roosters. Isn't that like a law or something? Lol

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:Be careful what you wish for!!!!

I figure that as soon as I start hoping for hens is when I will get roosters. Isn't that like a law or something? Lol

I've found that, and Happy Mtn will back me up on this, there are too many roosters being born in the Wheatens. Be happy with your Baltadina. [​IMG]
    Maybe Friday's hatch will yeild 12 roosters! THen what would you do?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Out of 14 w/bw chicks that hatched back in April, 10 of them were roosters...I know what you mean!!

4. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I have been hatching roosters solidly since Febuary [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Seriously? Wow, I'm so sorry [​IMG] But honestly I'd love to have that right now. Lots of cheap dog food. . . . Right now hatching alone and having chicks live beyond 2 months old is oddly hard for me.

6. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    does anyone know why the hen is the determining gene for sex of offspring? I find it odd that they determine the sex? what about coloring and size. [​IMG] I know in dogs the dog is the one who determines size and color, the female will have some do do with size but not like the dog.

just wondering.. [​IMG]

Pink

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  7. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Quote:Don't know the answer WRT coloring/size, once you get away from any sex-linked traits. But WRT the hen determining the sex, it's because birds follow a ZZ:ZW format, where the roo is ZZ and the hen is ZW, vs the standard XY:XX format of most mammals where the male is XY and the female is XX. So where in mammals the male determines sex, depending on if he passes an X or a Y chromosome to his offspring, in birds the hen determines the sex based on if she passes a Z or a W.

8. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Seriously? Wow, I'm so sorry [​IMG] But honestly I'd love to have that right now. Lots of cheap dog food. . . . Right now hatching alone and having chicks live beyond 2 months old is oddly hard for me.

Actually I did get 2 beautiful hens from your eggs though just not wheaten ameraucanas. One is a wheaten maran and the other an olive egger (wheaten ameraucana x wheaten maran).

9. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Our lavender ameraucana just laid her first BLUE egg!!!
    Sorry about the pic - it was taken inside. It looks much bluer in person.

THANK YOU DAK!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

Actually I did get 2 beautiful hens from your eggs though just not wheaten ameraucanas. One is a wheaten maran and the other an olive egger (wheaten ameraucana x wheaten maran).

Actually both parents were blue Wheaties [​IMG] So I'm presuming she's a normal Wheatie then? That's a first.

Congrats on the egg! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by