Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Hi Steve-
    I'm pretty sure any of your roos will be fertile before your pullets even start laying. You have any new pics? Time really flies- they must be huge by now.

I listed some birds for sale and had them described as 3 month olds, only to go back to find their baby pics and discover they are 5 months. Ooops! Bantams are sneaky like that.

Hi Amy,
    I will try and get some pics up soon. Of the 6 that hatched, I have re-homed one Roo. I have a beautiful Roo named Goliath - he will be re-homed at some point. I cannot keep a Roo(I don't think)... [​IMG]
    Of the remaining 4, I know 3 are pullets and one is still questionable. He looks nothing like Goliath, who is definitely a Roo, but his comb is suggesting Roo at some point. My cross-beak girl is still doing OK for now...
    Steve

Not too bad. I think if that cross-beak is still aorund she's going to be with you for quite a while. The questionable roo probably is a "roo in waiting". Once your dominant one leaves he will sprout up practically overnight and take his place. I've seen it happen quite a bit. You should try to hang on to one of them so you can at least hatch some chicks to have laying next spring. [​IMG]

2. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Congrats! Do you wish you had kept a Lav cockerel? Maybe from these latest eggs. [​IMG]

3. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

dak, what lines are your Lavenders from? Nice egg color. I am just starting with some of Shaffer's Lavenders I hatched from his eggs, so I am curious who your stock came from [​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] I do exactly the same. They dont get chicken every day, maybe 2-3 days a week, but it sure has taken care of the excess roo problem.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    A couple pics of a cockerel I hatched this year. Take a look at the muffs and beard!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
  7. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Still working on feather quality and he has some of that weird "steel" colored shading. If he looks any good when mature, I may cross back to black again.

8. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
  9. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:One pretty egg does not mean they are all that color. [​IMG] I have Shaffer and had a Lav from Jean and a couple of splits from Jean. I have gotten blue to blue-green to blue-gray from these Lavs. This year I bred my Shaffer Lav cock to my three best Smith Black hens. The splits will be bred back together next year. I anticipate I will use only these Lavs to move forward. That's the plan for now anyway.

10. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:One pretty egg does not mean they are all that color. [​IMG] I have Shaffer and had a Lav from Jean and a couple of splits from Jean. I have gotten blue to blue-green to blue-gray from these Lavs. This year I bred my Shaffer Lav cock to my three best Smith Black hens. The splits will be bred back together next year. I anticipate I will use only these Lavs to move forward. That's the plan for now anyway.

Sounds like a good plan, just keep those Smith birds marked in case you need them again. I think if you breed back to a stable black line a couple times you can get the type set in the lavs better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by